about wort temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLubbert

Reaction score
hi everyone:

i am posting this cuz in my first and second batch of all grain beer something really strange ocurred.

first i got my water to 153° more or less and then i added the milled grain. the temperature dropped and it was very hard for me to raise it up. i raised the flaime and still the same problem. then it raised, the first time to 175° very quicly and the second time to 167° and it is very anoying that the temperature has this behavior.

what do you do to get the water and the grain at the perfect temperature? is this usual?

any opinion is VERY welcome

regards
JLubbert

Get brewing software, or at least use the formula from "how to brew". Either one will tell you what strike water temp you'll need to reach your mash temp. Brewing software is almost required in my opinion, I would suggest beersmith.

I have a strike water calc in my spreadsheet. Pm me your email and I'll send it off to you.

Brewing software or a spreadsheet will help a great deal. Then over a few batches you will begin to dial that into your own systems characteristics and you will be able to nail your temps from then on.

Back