first time hard cider - wth did i do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetish

Reaction score
My family and I pressed about 50 gallons of fresh cider so idecoded I would take a shot at making 5 gallons of hard cider. I poured 5 gallons of the fresh juice into my carboy and then added 5 Camden tablets. 24 hours later I pitched my champagne yeast. After 8 days I wasn't seeing any more bubbles so I racked it into my secondary (corny keg). The cider is a very light hazy color and smells very strong, vinegary rotten egg-ish I guess. From what I've read this is normal. So where do I go from here? I would like a semi sweet cider that others will enjoy. Should I pitch more Camden and them backsweeten? Can I just let it sit in the corny for a couple months and backsweeten without Camden? Any suggestions? What should I backsweeten with? Any suggestions would help.

Oh yeah. Og was 1.052 and fg is .0998

Don't do anything yet! If you're still gettting sulfur smell; it's nowhere near ready yet. Worry about other things after the fermentation is finished. Those beasties still have work to do, and they know it.;)

Good luck with your batch
my two cents I dont put campden in my cider batchs that way after about 15 days i can start sipping on it. I may lose a batch to infection one day. But, I think getting to drink it sooner outweighs this

Back