No bubbles and no foam in 2nd stage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djgibson202

Reaction score
Good morning. Yesterday I transferred my red from the bucket into a a glass car boy because the bubbles had slowed down on the airlock. I have checked the carboy several times today and there is no foam and no bubbles from the airlock. Should I be concerned?

"Secondary fermenter" is a misnomer. All fermentation should be complete in primary, until the FG is stable for 3+ days.

Secondary is really to clarify the beer, a "bright tank" by commercial standards. Most homebrewers deem it unnecessary, unless adding fruit, lagering, etc.

You should give your beer a total of at least 2-3 weeks of fermentation time before considering to bottle. This will ensure that fermentation is completely finished (so that you don't get bottle bombs) as well as give the yeast time to clean up after itself - it will produce a cleaner and clearer beer.

No airlock activity doesn't mean that it's done fermenting. The only way to ensure fermentation is complete is to take a gravity reading several days in a row, and if it's unchanged and at a gravity you'd expect it to be, then it's done.

Latest posts

Back