What pump for IC recirculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarsnik

Reaction score
After swamping my yard, I'd like to get a pump to recirculate ice water in my IC. What sort of GPH will I need to get the best cooling efficiency? Would one of the submersible fountain pumps from harbor freight work?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Here's the one I use to recirculate ice water after getting the temp below 100 ºF using tap water:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-horsepower-submersible-utility-pump-68422.html

I don't think the gph rating is as significant as the lift rating - it takes a lot of pressure to force water through a long, small diameter tube and this will cut the actual gph way down below the rated value. Even though my pump is rated for 1350 gph, I actually only get about 65-70 gph through my 50 foot, 3/8 OD chiller + two 6 foot washing machine hoses. Note that my pump has a better lift rating than many of the others.

I use tap water for down to 100 and then switch to the pump. If I wasn't about to purchase a plate chiller I would put a spliitter on mine so I could have both hoses hooked up at once.

Back