First Original Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutarecord

Reaction score
Well I'm gathering information, equipment and grains to do my first All Grain Batch! Getting excited about it too...

I don't know if it is smart to attempt an original recipe for my first batch. If you guys think it would be un-wise to do so, I would gladly find a new recipe to brew from.

At any regard, here is my first original brew. Let me know what you think. Got any suggestions? Tried something similar before? Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated...

Style: Dry Stout (Irish-y I suppose) 5 Gallon Batch

6 lbs Pale Malt (2 row)
2 lbs flaked barley
1 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs 120L Crystal Malt
.5 lbs Honey Malt
1.5 oz Goldings (EK) 5.5% AA (Boil 60 min)
Whirlfloc Tablet
Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley

Planned on a Single Infusion, Batch Sparge

Beersmith's predictions:
OG: 1.047
Bitterness: 28.5 IBU
Color: 29.5 SRM
ABV: 46%

personally I would drop 1lb of flaked barley, add one pound of chocolate malt, down the roast to 1/2 lb. Don't think I would have the honey malt in there. Cheers!

That's WAY too much flaked barley in there, drop it way back and make the rest up with Chocolate and C120. Use Marris Otter instead of American 2 row. Don't add your fully converted grains to the mash, add them right prior to sparge.

I'd say that you are fine with 2 lbs of flaked barley. That is the same amount as in Jamil's dry stout recipe. To get a truly dry stout you should drop the honey malt, and consider removing the crystal 120, and up the pale malt .5-.75 lbs. I'd up the IBUs a little, maybe to get 35-40. A dry stout usually has a bitterness to original gravity ratio close to one. Then mash at 150-152F. This will give you a classic dry stout, somewhat like guinness. There's a common ratio for the three main ingredients for a dry stout of 70:20:10 for pale malt:flaked barley:roasted barley, but it's just a general guideline. And make sure you have the dark roasted barley(500L or higher) and not the lighter kind which I think is around 300L.

Back