Hops in the primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humer

Reaction score
I made a Pliny the Elder clone last night an had a really hard time getting the 5 gallons for the primary. I had to use a rubber spatula with my strainer to get the last half gallon that I needed. While doing this the wort that I was straining had a greener tinge to it.

What can I do to help with that? Is that the way it is for most brews that people make that have a good amount of hops?

Hops absorb water/wort. There is no way around that. The thing to do is compensate when you are building the recipe so that you still end up with a proper volume. eg scale everything up to 5.5 gallons. That way, when you lose some to the kettle hops and some to the dry hops, you still have 5 gallons to package.

+1. i scale all recipes to 6 gal (or 12 in my case) so that i have plenty into the fermenters to account for loss, as well as trub loss from my keggle side drain to avoid trub.

Back