15th Floor Doppel IPA ***my first none kit brew***

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwhc22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type: Extract w/specialty grains
Yeast: WLP001 California Ale
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.07
Final Gravity: 1.01
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 8-10 Days ~72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14-16 Days ~ 72
Keg Pressure I used (if you want): set and forget at ~15psi at ~50deg for ~6days
Final ~ABV%:~8%
Tasting Notes: See Below

Ingredients:

6 Lbs American lite extract
3 Lb M&F Lite extract

1lb American 2 row
1lb American 50-60 crystal

1oz chinook hops at 25 min left in boil
1oz chinook hops at 3-4 min left in boil
Irish Moss @ 15 mins
1oz chinook hops to dry hop in secondary

Brewing Notes:
toast the 2 row for ~10 min at 350degrees on a cookie sheet before adding to water. steep the grains at ~155-165degrees for 45 mins then remove the grains and begin the full 60min boil with the extracts. I did a full boil of the extracts by using 2 pots and dividing the ingredients between the 2. but i did the grains only in my bigger of the 2 pots which is ~3.5 gal of water...and the second is ~2.25 gal of water. i used a large grain bag that is big enough to hit the sides of the pot for the grains. add 1oz chinook at 25 min left. then 1oz chinook at 3-4 min left. don't forget the irish moss at 15 min left. cool to 75degrees. I then filtered out the hops during the transfer into primary. add yeast. give it a shake.

After about 8 to 10 days in primary rack onto 1oz of chinook hops in secondary to dry hop for 2 weeks to 16 days. add irish moss the day or so before racking to keg or bottling bucket. I also crash cooled mine in an ice bath to aid in clarifying before kegging.

i then bottled 12 bottles and racked the rest to a keg and set the pressure at 15psi for about 6 days at 50-55 degrees until we drank it. i served it at about 48-50 degrees. you can serve it colder if you want... but i was going for an americanized version of a european IPA.

--------------------------------------------------
Tasting Notes:

Appearance - this is a fairly dark IPA since its a double and uses 3 pounds of a darker colored lite extract. the head is an ivory to light tan color and holds in the glass only lightly after the pour but will leave level marks(whats the term for this again?) all the way down your glass as any good stout or porter would.

Smell - this beer is a bit malty and since it is a higher %abv it balances nicely with the strength of the 3oz of chinook used in this brew. it also has some slight esters of peach or apricot. although mine probably had this a little more pronounced since my building turned the AC off near the end of primary fermentation and it got up to 80degrees one day before i got home from work to realize what was happening.

Taste - this is obviously subjective but... to me it was very very smooth for being a double IPA. there is a solid malty flavor and an equal balance of hoppyness. it tasted like it was 5% abv and not 8% but you can feel the 8% after a few pints of this.

Mouthfeel - since i may have served this differently that others i can only say how it was under my method. i served this beer at ~50 degrees and let it keg condition at 15psi's for 6 days. the carbonation was lighter than most american brews and just how i wanted it to be... since i wanted to have a British style of carbonation feel to it. the head was creamy and soft similar to a cask conditioned ale or a nitro stout. the beer itself had a bit of a mouthfeel like lite porter or dark amber.

Drinkability - well 6 of us finished off 4 gallons in under 3 hours without even trying. I plan on making this one of my staples until i move to all grain and begin making an AG version of this. this was my first none kit recipe and by far my best result even with the ac being turned off incident. the high alcohol and robust hops balance each other out and seem to be in = harmony with each other so neither one really jumps out at you. One of my friends works at UINTA brewing co here in SLC, UT and passed a bottle of it around and most everyone said the same thing. they liked it enough to want another and they all wondered if it had gotten a little warm during the fermentation becasue of the fruity ester levels. which it it did one day... so i guess next time if i avoid that it should be at least 10% better.

Let me know if you have any questions. I may have forgotten something when i was writing all this out. :mug:

I assume you meant non kit brew to which I say: it took you 2.5 years to get tired of drinking someone else's beer?

oops! fixed :drunk:

yeah... it took me a while to figure out that i had learned enough to build my own recipe... i have not bought a single kit brew ever since this one was first made thanks to learning stuff on HBT :mug:

Back