Has anyone ever heard of this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/10/11/explorers.beer/index.html

Basically, this guy says he has developed a way to afix yeast to a ceramic interior of a fermenter. This is supposed to make fermentation go faster, as well as make the yeast reusable for six months or more.

Im pretty skeptical of both claims, but when I looked for more info, all the sites I found lead back to this one.

- magno

never heard of it but it looks interesting. why would fusing the yeast to a ceramic make the fermentation faster than having it free-floating?

Cool, a bathtub brewery! I saw that article a couple of years ago but never heard anything more about it.

Wild

I was concerned when mine did in 12 hours. Now if you brew in 3 hours surely that can't be to good for the yeast. Don't the stress if they work too hard?

orfy said:
I was concerned when mine did in 12 hours. Now if you brew in 3 hours surely that can't be to good for the yeast. Don't the stress if they work too hard?

Hopefully yeast aren't like the_bird and spend all their time in online forums.
(Yes, I'm calling the kettle black.)

As it says towards the end of the article, this is a form of continuous fermentation. Flowing the wort past the yeast is what makes for speed. Those of you who have a stirrer for your starters have seen the benefits of keeping the wort moving. If we, as homebrewers, made really big stir plates, our fermentation times would drop to less than a day.

Some lagers are finished by forcing them through yeast beds. This cuts the diacetyl "rest" to minutes.

Back