I just grew my first Scoby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knittingmomma

Reaction score
I started a scoby from KT 3 weeks ago and she's formed. I am so excited. I've brewed some tea to move her tomorrow. MY question is can I drink this first batch? I tasted a bit tonight and it is VERY vinegary - much stronger than the store bought variety. Do I put it in a bottle and drink it - or do I have to pitch this first batch? Also do I need to let it sit bottled to make it fizzy? I truthfully didn't think it would form as I was reading somehwere that using a store bought bottle as a starter has low success. Now I'm not sure what to do

I started a scoby from KT 3 weeks ago and she's formed. I am so excited. I've brewed some tea to move her tomorrow. MY question is can I drink this first batch? I tasted a bit tonight and it is VERY vinegary - much stronger than the store bought variety. Do I put it in a bottle and drink it - or do I have to pitch this first batch? Also do I need to let it sit bottled to make it fizzy? I truthfully didn't think it would form as I was reading somewhere that using a store bought bottle as a starter has low success. Now I'm not sure what to do

Don't Pitch it, but i wouldn't drink it either(unless you like the strong vinegary taste), if it is that vinegary i would use it in place of Vinegar(and it is better for you than distilled white vinegar cause it is still pro-biotic!). Use it on your salads etc. This is what i plan to do with my first batch after my new SCOBY grows(If it grows, i was given 9 bottles of "past the best by date" Vibranz so i thought i would try to culture a SCOBY before i pay to buy one!)

Back