Beer is Frothing out the top!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickjam

Reaction score
I am brewing an Imperial IPA right now (14 pounds of LME in this beer). Fermintation is active, very active! In fact the beer is frothing out the top into the airlock. I now know I should buy a blowoff tube to deal with this, but for now is it ok to just change the airlock out every 10 hours or so? I use vodka in the airlock so it is no biggy if some gets into the beer and I figure it will kill anything bad on contact. The froth is remaining in the airlock except for my intial blow out which I didn't notice until it was running down the side of the carboy.

Am I thinking right or should I dive the 40 miles to my local home brew shop and buy the blow off tube and piece today?

Thanks!

You can do that as long as the pressure does not blow the stopper out of the carboy/bucket. Next time use a blow off tube. I pretty much use them religiously on the primary.

I had the same problem with my 1st batch. and i just left it on there and the fome fell backinto the beer and i left the beer that got up in the airlock there and my brew turned out ok. im using a blow off tube now that i know what happens.

BEERNINJA!

just let'er roll man. worry about the blow off on the next one. that is going to be huge let us know how it turns out.

Cheers

nickjam said:
Am I thinking right or should I dive the 40 miles to my local home brew shop and buy the blow off tube and piece today?

Homebrew shop for a blow off tube? Don't you have a hardware store handy? Just get some vinyl tubing. That's all you really need.

Back