Honey wheat 10%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdoubled

Reaction score
Just finished brewing a Bavarian wheat with 8 pnds of honey. Hydrometer shows 1.091 og. Potential for a 10% apv. Wondering if anyone else has had a honey wheat this strong and will the apv overtake the taste?

Depends on numerous variables, not the least of which is the brewers patience and experience. That being said, I'm sure that someone else has had a honey wheat that strong and that the abv has overtaken the taste. Brew on my friend:mug:

I'd be concerned about too many simple sugars leaving your brew tasting too fruity. Make sure you give it lots of time to age out and let the alcohol flavor mellow. Should be just fine though!

What he said ^^^ except I'm not sure about it being fruity. The honey will almost certainly fully attenuate. You will really get very little flavor from it. I find with a beer this high in abv, it will really benefit from aging for a while. Let us know though!

Thanks everyone for the advice. How long would you guys say would be an appropriate time to age before drinking. I know longer the better but im being realistic my dry mouth will not let it go forever. ;)

I typically get really excited and forget about aging until I'm down to one case. Doh!!! That last case I open one beer every other week until its perfect.

Thanks everyone for the advice. How long would you guys say would be an appropriate time to age before drinking. I know longer the better but im being realistic my dry mouth will not let it go forever. ;)

with a brew that strong, I would age it for a few months in the bottle before drinking. but that's just me.

Update: i set out to make honey wheat beer. I think i made whiskey. Lol!12.08abv. Just moved to the secondary for a few weeks then i guess about 3 months in the bottle.

image-1070542422.jpg

Bottling day. Still strong. Not sure if its beer or malt liquor.

image-3917551913.jpg

Attachments

• image-1587349322.jpg
    image-1587349322.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 74
I have a honey brown that came out to 9.2%, has been in the bottle for almost 7 weeks and is just starting to mellow out. Still has a boozy flavor but is somewhat drinkable.

Back