General carbonation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I have a Maple Nut Brown Ale where I used 3.1oz Corn sugar and added 1/2 Maple syrup for flavoring.

Bottled it 13 days ago and it is fully carbonated.

HOWEVER - I also have an American Amber with 3.8oz corn sugar and it is 27 days and still not really anything in the carb department.

Just keep waiting (like there is anythign else I can do).

Do some beers just take longer> 3.8oz SHOULD do something right?

I also have a Porter with 2.5oz corn sugar 41 days form bottle that did not carb but perhaps it's is not enough?

Comments for veterans about carbonation and how much is not enough and so forth would really be appreciated.

BTW - I am REAL happy with my products so far except carb worries .

Well, maple syrup has sugars in it, and there's no real way of checking how much as far as homebrewers are concerned, so that one may be carbed up because it has the most sugar. On most of my beers, I go anywhere from 4-5oz. 5 oz of corn sugar in 5 gallons is the "regular" amount, but I prefer a bit less, and change depending on style. 2.5oz may be a bit low to get any good carbonation from.

But my question is will 3.8oz carb up? Am I just being impatient at the 24 day mark for carbing?

It should, unless you had it in secondary for months, which I doubt you did. I say give them a little swirl, and let them sit a while longer, maybe the yeasts are just napping, and need you to wake them up.

Is there any sediment in the bottle, or any hint of carbonation?

Back