My First Recipe, Mint Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petolo

Reaction score
One gallon brewer here, and to date I'd only done kits. Yesterday I brewed my first self recipe, a Mint Chocolate Stout. What do you think?

3 lb Munton's Plain Dark DME
1 g Fuggles 45min
1 g Fuggles 15min
1 g Fuggles 10min (I only had fuggles on hand, c'est la vie)
2 tbsp Dark Cocoa Powder, unsweetened 5min
4 peppermint teabags 5min
Safale US-05

Aerated and pitched, this morning fermentation was underway (with a blow off tube JIC, I don't want a mess)

I can comment on the cocoa amount. I think it's about right. I just bottled a mint chocolate stout. I did a 2 gallon batch. I used 4 ounces of cocoa. I tasted it when I racked it to my secondary. The chocolate taste was about right. In the secondary I actually put 1 ounce of mint. (Soaked in vodka for about 10 min before I put it in there. I let it sit on it for a week. Tasting it as it went into the bottle I thought that mint was too strong. It may mellow a bit in the bottle. I hope so. I will try it in three weeks and see how it is. If it doesn't taste good I may age it a few months.

Mint chocolate chip ice cream = best thing ever.

Mint chocolate beer. God I hope for your sake it is good. I am an experimenter to the core, but mint beer? *shudders*

I've only done a couple of kits, so I don't feel qualified commenting on the specifics of a beer recipe, but I do know that mint is a tricky ingredient. I've trashed a handful of homemade mint chip ice cream recipes because the mint was entirely too strong. There is a really fine line between just right and way too much.

I made the mint chocolate stout from the recipe section. It turned out pretty well. I used mint cocoa powder and also some fresh chocolate mint in the boil.

I was inspired by a friend who brews some funky stuff. Luckily since I only brew gallon batches I'll only have to suffer through a few beers if it is no good. The wort was delicious though. I'm considering putting it under icecream if it stays sweet...

Just one minor point on the recipe name- it's not a stout. It might be brown in color from the dark extract, but without any roasted grains like roasted barley or chocolate malt or black patent, it's not a stout or a porter. It's a brown ale, so maybe call it "chocolate mint ale"?

I think the OG is way too high to make an enjoyable beer for me, but it may make a nice dessert beer if that's what you're going for.

Fair enough Yooper (semantics rule the world :D), and yes I was going for dessert.

And not at all cheezy, the beautiful thing about this is everyone gets an opinion, I will definitely let you all know...

I know this thread is a little older, but Stone did a collaboration brew that was Mint Chocolate stout and it was pretty good.

Petolo said:
Any idea if it is still available? I'd love to try it...

Haven't seen it for a bit but it could still be around. It usually comes in 12 oz. bottles, but I happen to be in a bar back in January and it was on draught.

Ok... Just an FYI I thought I had over minted my beer. Mint fades pretty quick. 5 weeks after bottling the silly strong mint is now a hint. Perfect! I used fresh mint 2.5 oz, soaked in vodka, in secondary a week for 5 gallons.

yfuvjhvvvvvvvvvvgtrdxdcfgcgfchgcjhjhnmnb
ha2.jpg

Lol.

for a second I was afraid that this was the OP after tasting his FIRST brew.

I guess that was why I was a little negative. First brew? Really? Mint?

sounds like a recipe for quitting homebrewing REAL quick, lol.

Lol.

for a second I was afraid that this was the OP after tasting his FIRST brew.

I guess that was why I was a little negative. First brew? Really? Mint?

sounds like a recipe for quitting homebrewing REAL quick, lol.

It's the first recipe I've done from scratch. And it was kinda just a whim. I don't think anything can drag me away from homebrewing.

Back