AHS Oatmeal Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
Brewed my AHS Oatmeal Stout a month ago and went to get a reading. The suggested FG is 1.012, mine is 1.022.

My OG was a bit high, 1.06 compared with the suggested 1.053.

I used White Labs British Ale Yeast 005.

This is my first stout so I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions? I tasted the sample and it wasn't bad, but had a slight sweet flavor.

Should I leave in the primary a little longer? Add yeast? Or just rack to keg?

If any more information is needed please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

More time in primary is almost never a bad choice. Sounds like it could be stuck. Give it some more time and if it's on the cold side you might warm it up a few degrees. At least you're kegging, so if it's not done you don't have to worry about bottle bombs!

I did add the Alcohol Boost, too. Should have said that.

I am also not 100% confident in the OG reading as it was my first hydrometer reading and wrote down that I wasn't sure if it was accurate.

Ok, after a few days I just checked again. I am down to 1.020 after a vigorous swirl and ensured the temp has been approx. 65* minimum. It still tastes a little sweet, but not bad. There is a good chance my wife will go into labor tonight so I think I am going to leave it in the primary at least a few more days. As this is my first Stout I think it needs a little more time as the air lock appears to active though minimally. I can tell there is a lot of CO2 in the fermenter.

Anyone advise otherwise?

"There is a good chance my wife will go into labor tonight so I think I am going to leave it in the primary at least a few more days."

An excellent choice.

Have the baby at home, it's cheaper and you will be able to closely monitor your beer. She must understand ?!?

lol, I could gave phrased that better.

I was wondering if I should re-pitch while I am away to see if I can get the gravity reading down. Foolish?

Back