labels and milk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njsmallwood12

Reaction score
I have never made/attached a label to a bottle. My bottles are clean and have never had a label on them. My question is what kind of paper and adhesive? I have seen posts about using milk, so what do you do? Dip the paper and stick? What about a glue stick

Many of us milk users have converted to gelatin - you can put your beer in a ice-filled cooler and they stay on, but wash off with a bit of hot water. Glues aren't great, as its a hot harder to remove the labels, although many still use them. The one downside to milk and gelatin is they do not work well on plastic bottles - both are fairly rigid once dried, so labels fall off of flexible bottles. Here's a good thread on using gelatin:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/use-knox-its-best-label-adhesive-354082/

Bryan

Use skim milk. Any paper works so long as it is not waxed paper.

I stopped using milk because of the mess. If I want to label a few bottles I just put a piece of clear tape on each edge of the label and done. It might not look quite as professional but it sure is easier to apply and remove.

Back