genuine bourbon cask oak usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatsachs

Reaction score
I may be way off track here but I figured this was a "brightest minds" type of audience so I should pose this question here. So I've luckily been able to acquire large oak cutouts of Buffalo Trace and three roses bourbon barrels. I am obviously gonna brew with these things! Experimentally until I get a feel for how to use these things. I got to thinking and my question is this: Can and how much can this affect final abv% and flavor after soaking in bourbon for whatever amount of time they have in their production use and the three weeks I soak them prior to re-use? They smell wonderful and can permeate an entire small warehouse when the barrels are freshly cut. I've got a 1/2 gallon experimental robust porter batch in a growler sitting on 1/2 ounce of cubed pieces of this soaked bourbon barrel oak. I guess I'd just like to hear from either someone who can give me some scientific info on flavor and abv imparting potential and such. C'mon, talk nerdy to me! Or... someone who's brewed with actual bourbon barrel oak pieces before and can give hints or help on amounts to use, time to re-soak them, sizes of cubes to use or whether the charred flakes collected and pictured are good to use. I know people have used the oak cubes and grilling cubes available for purchase but I really don't want to hear about those, just genuine bourbon cask oak.

cutouts and charred chips

oak barrel.jpg

Wow, what is the deal with nobody answering posts on this forum? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm guessing you posted this to the wrong forum. Oaking isn't what I would consider "science".

Try the Recipes forum, maybe?

Cheers!

Back