Effects of Sunlight on my Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psymon

Reaction score
I have just bottled my first homebrew and the bottles have been sitting in my lounge room, out of direct sunlight but in a bright area of the house.

I have just read somewhere that sunlight is bad for brew, will my brew be ok?

taste it and see. Sunlight can skunk beer in 5 - 10 minutes, but if they are in brown bottles, they are probably fine. In the future keep them in a dark place, even in a box or something.

I just had a taste, they have only been conditioning in the bottle for 4 days so it didnt taste great, had a bit of a white wine taste....?

A white wine taste is probably just because its green still, if it was skunked it would taste like corona, or heineken in the bottle, kinda cardboardy, you would know it if it was there.

yes it is bad. this is why it is always stored in green, brown or clear bottles only, out of which brown is the best. so i would recommend you to first taste it a little..

how about during boil? My kettle is out there is direct blasting sun for the entire time.

I made a thread like this when i was starting out aswell. I keep all brews in card boxes in my bedroom. No worries what so ever.

Back