Oxygenation issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyhawkins

Reaction score
So I have an amber ale that spent a month in primary in a carboy. I had room in the fermentation chamber so I decided to slip it in before bottling to further clear the beer (or see if anything changed). While it cooled I removed the air lock every hour or so just to equalize pressure then replaced it, so as not to introduce sanitizer. After a few of these inverse purges I felt like I may have put my brew in danger of oxygen exposure. This beer is far from expelling CO2 as it is 30+ days old. What do you guys think? Do you do this all the time or did I make a huge mistake?

I feel like I have heard someone say they foil for lagering to avoid the vacuum problems but there is probably still CO2 expulsion to combat that..
Thanks

dannyhawkins said:
So I have an amber ale that spent a month in primary in a carboy. I had room in the fermentation chamber so I decided to slip it in before bottling to further clear the beer (or see if anything changed). While it cooled I removed the air lock every hour or so just to equalize pressure then replaced it, so as not to introduce sanitizer. After a few of these inverse purges I felt like I may have put my brew in danger of oxygen exposure. This beer is far from expelling CO2 as it is 30+ days old. What do you guys think? Do you do this all the time or did I make a huge mistake?

I feel like I have heard someone say they foil for lagering to avoid the vacuum problems but there is probably still CO2 expulsion to combat that..
Thanks

Nothing to worry about. Oxygenation would be if you splashed around your beer post ferm, just removing an airlock isnt really doing anything. Should be all good.

Latest posts

Back