Force Carbing w/ diffusion stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briewer2

Reaction score
So this is my first time kegging and I'm obviously excitied and very impatient. I recently got an oxygenation kit so I have a 2 micron diffusion stone. I was wondering if anyone knows a place to find good instructions on how to carb with a stone. Can I do it with a 2micron or do i need a finer one? I did search for a thread and was unable to find a good one. Im going to start the "set n forget" method after this, but as I said, this is my first and I'm antsy.

Thanks all.

you really don't need it. Pressurize the keg and roll it around for 30 mins under pressure until you reach your desired carb levels.... the stone isn't necessary at all and would "keep the stone" useless when you may need it for aeration on another batch since once its in the keg on the dip tube, its in the keg until you drain it.

To carbonate with a stone, you have to connect the stone to the gas-in. There are carbonating tubes/stones available, but you'd have to have one for each keg.

A week is plenty of time to set'n'forget.

To carbonate with a stone, you have to connect the stone to the gas-in. There are carbonating tubes/stones available, but you'd have to have one for each keg.

A week is plenty of time to set'n'forget.

The Gas-in post isn't sufficient since the stone won't be in the beer - you need to have an alternate gas-in line w/ a dip tube putting the stone at the bottom of the keg - it's hardly worth it when you can pressurize and shake...

I am not the expert on this by any means but i have tried the diffusion stones attached to a gas in line via a 2' hose and i wasnt impressed in fact i stopped using it.
They have to be cleaned (and i mean boiled) after every batch other wise they will clog
and the couple times i did use it, the beer did not carb any faster.

To answer your question 2 micron would be fine. It probably wont clog as easy.

Everywhere that I've read about diffusion stones it says to only use 2 psi when carbonating. Has anyone tried/ know what happens if you go higher?

I made this as an experiment:

Carbonator_lid.JPG

It's a carbonating lid with a 2 micron stone, so I can swap to different kegs. I set the pressure to proper psi for desired volumes of co2 and it's fully carbonated in about 2 days. The stone has never clogged for me. It's not necessary but it was a fun project an I am happy with the results.:mug:

Back