Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trophy_Brew21

Reaction score
Next week when all my ingredients get in, I will be brewing this. What are your thoughts and ideas. It sounds like it will be a great tasting beer.

5 gallon batch.

Wort time boil of 70 min:

11 lbs. Pale malt (2-row)
1.5 lbs Brown malt
0.5 lbs. Crystal 40L
2.5 lbs. dark Munich malt
1.0 lbs. Crystal 120L
1.25 lbs. Chocolate malt

Hops:
0.75 oz Magnum 60 min
0.50 oz Goldings 10 min

Extras:
1 tsp of Irish Moss

Yeast:
Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite

Secondary:
2 whole vanilla beans
375 mL of bourbon

I was actually wondering about this today! Though I was thinking of a stout, not a porter. Would it make more sense to add the bourbon to the bottling bucket, rather than the secondary? Just speculating here.

I was actually wondering about this today! Though I was thinking of a stout, not a porter. Would it make more sense to add the bourbon to the bottling bucket, rather than the secondary? Just speculating here.

Yes, bottling bucket. wrote it in wrong. It sounds like it would be a good beer. I put it into beercalculus.com and it seems like it will be a very malty beer, along with 319 calories for each 12 oz. Seems good to me, don't need dinner after one or two of them! haha

I actually brewed Ed's Robust Porter, and will probably add 2 vanilla beans to secondary. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I would also like to know how this turned out. Why is it better to add the bourbon the the bottling bucket as opposed to the secondary? Wouldnt the bulk aging be better?

It turned out amazing. Best beer I've brewed thus far. I will be brewing this beer again in the future!

just brewed a version of this, transferred to secondary and added 2 vanilla beans (chopped and seeded) and 10 ounces of bourbon (buffalo trace). question, how will this affect alcohol content? I have 5 gallons (80 cups) of 95 alcohol beer and added 1.25 cups of 45% alcohol bourbon, does it change the abv much? Will the hydrometer reading be accurate when i take it out of secondary?

just brewed a version of this, transferred to secondary and added 2 vanilla beans (chopped and seeded) and 10 ounces of bourbon (buffalo trace). question, how will this affect alcohol content? I have 5 gallons (80 cups) of 95 alcohol beer and added 1.25 cups of 45% alcohol bourbon, does it change the abv much? Will the hydrometer reading be accurate when i take it out of secondary?
I added the entire bottle, and it only increased the ABV by less than 0.5%, because your only adding 10 oz into 640 oz. so not much of a change. I would believe your hydrometer would be able to read it with the bourbon added, I just calculated it out.

Latest posts

Back