Dry hopping time in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohpspe

Reaction score
I am doing my first lager beer and dry hopped into the secondary. I have about 2 weeks to bottle and the hops I used to dry hop are Cenntinal hops with an AA of 8.4, 1 oz in a hop bag. I added them when I moved to secondary and am debating on pulling them out, but not sure if it will hurt to leave them in for 2 more weeks.

Sorry total noob question, just want to get this one right. Thanks!

It's really not a noob question, it's kind of important actually. 2 weeks is kind of pushing it. Twice I've gotten lazy and left dry hops in beer for lengthy periods, once for 3 weeks and once for a month. Both times I got a weird, grassy sour taste in my beer. 5-7 days seems to be perfect in my experience.

So, pull the hops and let the rest of it lager for 2 more weeks?

Yes. Ideally, you would time your dry hops around your bottling - start the dry hop 3-7 days before you plan to bottle. You don't want to leave dry hops in much longer than that and you'll want to bottle all that hoppy goodness as quickly as possible before it starts to fade away.

With this batch, you should pull the hops now. You could always add another small dry hop addition a few days before you bottle.] if you wanted to "freshen it up".

Pulled the hop bag last night, in the struggle to get it out, I think that my wedding ring fell into the carboy. At least that is the last logical place I can think it went. I had it on when pulling he bag, came inside from the garage and it was gone. Searched the hop bag and nothing, searched the cooler the carboy is in and nothing.

Now the debate is to just go ahead and bottle to get the ring out, or let it sit for 2 more weeks. The ring is good, so I am not too worried about contamination, ESP since the carboy is a brisk 35 degrees.

Bottled the beer on 2/11 and tired the first one last night. Great head on the beer, nice light color and HOPS! Turned out pretty good, but I am biased.

Bottled the beer on 2/11 and tired the first one last night. Great head on the beer, nice light color and HOPS! Turned out pretty good, but I am biased.

That's awesome but more importantly is your ring back on your finger?

After bottling, the ring was not in the carboy. I ended up finding it at the bottom of the cooler I was lagering the beer in about three days later. That was even after I checked it twice.

Back