Tinted Plastic Juice Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemnitz

Reaction score
So, I just made a big batch of hard cider, and now I am left with 10 half-gallon PET plastic juice bottles that are tinted brown. Being the thrifty homebrewer that I am, is there any way to reuse these?

Option 1: If these bottles seal tight enough, I could use them as makeshift growlers. They are tinted, which is a big plus. Would they work for bottling conditioning? Is it worth experimenting with one of them?

Option 2: Micro-fermenters. If I drill a hole in the top of one and add an airlock, then I could create a couple tiny micro-fermenters for experimental batches (or the infamous Ancient Orange Mead). Is a half-gallon too ridiculously small for this purpose? Any problems that I would face?

So, I'll turn this question over to the wisdom of the board. Thanks.

Option 1: Probably.

Option 2: They make drilled stoppers for wine bottles, so I'd imagine some people do even smaller fermentations than you're suggesting! Go for it, especially if you can rig up some fun mini-temperature-control.

Latest posts

Back