Motorized Victoria Grain Mill for $1.56

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inamays

Reaction score
I did a search and I couldn't find any specific write-ups (could have just been oversight), so I thought I'd share how I motorized my Victoria Grain Mill using a hand drill. I would assume that the same parts list would work for a Corona Grain Mill, but since I don't have one of those, I can't verify. But after one use and grinding 13# of grain by hand, there was no way I was going to go that route again. :) Here we go:

Parts List (all from Home Depot):
1 - 12" x 5/16-18 Threaded Zinc Rod (Part Number: 030699170104) - $1.17/each
1 - 5/16" Lockwasher Medium Split (Part Number: 0000-590-832) - $0.17/each
2 - 5/16-24 Hex Nut (Part Number: 0000-721-825) - $0.11/each

Step 1: Remove the hand crank from the mill
Step 2: Thread the Rod into the Crank Screw position (hand tighten)
Step 3: Thread the first Hex Nut onto the other end of the Rod until there is enough room on the rod for another nut
Step 4: Place the lock washer on the rod
Step 5: Thread the second nut onto the rod, tighten firmly with adjustable wrenches

attachment.php

Step 6: Using a 1/2" socket on your drill, you can now have a motorized Victoria Grain Mill!

Here's a Video in Action: [ame="http://youtu.be/M8S1ucGekpk"]http://youtu.be/M8S1ucGekpk[/ame]

IMG_3041.jpg

Txbrew has offered a free year subscription for write-ups. This is nicely done with pics. It might be worth submitting it.

I used a hex-head bolt for my setup.

Just curious how this setup works/worked for you now that it's two years later?

Looks great to me, but I've only done one all grain brew at this point, so I can't speak to how that crush looked.

Anyone else do something similar using this mill, or would you recommend just using a corona mill at this price point?

Latest posts

Back