infected but tastes great?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I think I just had my first infection. I mean I'm 99% sure. I didn't take a pic, unfortunately, but there were enormous white bubbles and a disgusting crust floating on the surface. It was a Belgian stout, 2 months old.

I proceeded to dump it but halfway through, I tasted it by dipping my hand in and cupping some to my mouth. It tasted delicious. Enraged, I flipped the bucket over and started cursing up a storm.

Aren't infections supposed to make beer taste bad? This tasted quite good. The reason I didn't think to taste it is that when I tasted it at 1 month, it tasted horrendous, like it was sour. I was so sure it was going to taste the same way that I just dumped it.

White crust on top? Sounds like lacto maybe? Surprised you can't taste a sour taste.

Some guys intentionally cause lacto infections in their beers, for example in sour beers.

But hey, if its good, who cares? :D

Is it bad that I'm almost looking forward to an infection (on a small beer of course) just so I can use that bucket for pLambics and other sour ales?

Back