Question about my primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
For primary I use something like a 12 gallon glass damijohn for my 5 gallon batches. I do this because I already own these. In doing this the damijohn is always only half full which means lots of head space.

Will this have an effect on the taste of my beer? So far I have only used simple kits and had decent results.

The additional air in the head space might delay the beginning of fermentation, but that means more yeast cells. Once the fermentation starts, the headspace will be full of CO2.

For a primary, you shouldn't worry. The CO2 created in the wort by the yeast is pushing the O2 out. As CO2 is heavier than O2, it tends to push it outside.

I'm primary fermenting 2.5 gallons of beer in a 8 gallons primary fermenter without ill-effect.

For a secondary fermentation, this would be different. You would need to minimize the headspace.

ok, i figured the co2 would puch the air out. I usually have signs of fermentation very quickly so no harm done i suppose.

Back