What do you think 10gl oatmeal-stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbock220

Reaction score
I keep wavering on the grain bill of this recipe. So now I'm looking for your opinions. I'm going for balanced, and all my numbers seem to indicate that this should be balanced. After recently tasting a number of stouts, I'm thinking I prefer it being on the light roast, leaning dry (Allagash Black still my favorite). What do you think? Take out the Lactose? Also I'm worried about my diastatics. Any other comments welcome.

38% Maris Otter (Base)
13% Flaked Oats (Body)
13% Munich 10L (Malty backbone)
13% Dehusked Carafa I (Mash Cap for color)
8% Flaked Barley (Body)
4% Victory (Biscuit/bread tones)
4% Honey Malt (sweetness)
4% Lactose (sweetness, also I've never used it)
2% Roasted Barley (hint of roast)
2% Rice hulls

90min. boil
1oz nugget at 90min
1oz willamette at 10min
1oz willamette at 1min

10 gallons split to pitch:
5 gallon - Wyeast 1335
5 gallon - WLP007

Secondary
(2) Van. Beans
8oz. oak chips
Both soaked in spiced rum during primary, secondary racked on top.

Target Water:
Ca 100
Mg 10
SO4 60
Na 140
Cl 90
HCO 220

http://hopville.com/recipe/1327105

I'm not a fan of "sweet", and I like a bit of roast in my stouts (but not too much). I don't think you have enough roasted barley, or coffee malt, or black barley or whatever you'd be using for the roasted flavor.

I'd probably ditch the carafa and go with chocolate malt (even pale chocolate), or black barley for a coffee roastiness.

I really love my oatmeal stout recipe because it has no roasted barley, but instead some black barley and some pale chocolate malt for the roastiness, but it's not over the top roastiness like some. Mine is more like a coffee roastedness instead of a roasted barley roast, if that makes sense.

I like a bit of crystal/caramel malt in a stout to balance the acrid roasted flavors. I'm not a lactose fan, but many others like it in a "milk stout".

I agree. I'd ditch the Carafa and lactose and add some roasted malt (chocolate, etc.) and some med-dark crystal.

I realized immediately after I posted that, after drinking a number of stouts last night, that I really wanted an allagash black and rebuilt a whole new recipe. Funny how the taste changes, when I wrote this one I wanted a miilkshake beer that had some sweatness. Just finished thanksgiving and that doesn't sound as appetizing, so I saved it and started a new recipe. Totally different, but learned a about Belgian Style Stout. Dry (Candi) but dark and full (as opposed to thin like an Irish). I love developing beer recipes.

I had some Crystal 60 in there, but may have taken it out when I posted. I was going for more complexities, but kept thinking I had too much going on and it would be muddled. My biggest concern I think was the high level of Munich making it too malty.

Back