power of suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty73741

Reaction score
I was wondering. has anyone here lied about the strength of their HOME brew to someone. To see if they will get drunk faster.

I might try this with a 6 pack the next party I:M at

I know it works the other way! I got fantastic efficiency on my Kolsch, and ended up with 6.5% beer. I told everyone at a block bbq/party that it was a light, clean and refreshing beer (still true). But I think they took it to mean it was the ABV equivalent of Michelob Ultra :D. Obviously, we had a late night and a bunch of drunk neighbors making a lot of noise in the street!

I gave a 6xer of my ale to a friend and her fiance and a friend drank it. They said it was not very strong. I know it was higher ABV than the usual BMC. I wonder if they expected to get hammered on 2-3 of my "Homebrews". You know that Homebrew has a reputation!

I guess I'm going to have to up the ante for those guys!

i just love when people drink a real beer home brew from my taps and then get all drunk and tell people how thay got all drunk "damn it was so good but crap it must have been like 14% or someting cuz i was hammered" lol if it was over 7.5% it would have been a rare brew at my house more like 6

Seems like all the nonbrewers I talk to assume that homebrew is very high ABV. The ones that give a number say something like 15%. D'oh!

Seems like all the nonbrewers I talk to assume that homebrew is very high ABV. The ones that give a number say something like 15%. D'oh!

Yeah, why is that? I've definitely experienced the stigma, and even had a few of those thoughts myself before I got into homebrewing. I wonder why that rumor exists?

Back