Go 3 way or 2 way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnatp2

Reaction score
So I am building a new setup. It will be a 1 tier, 3 pot, 2 pump electric system. It is similar to theelectricbrewery.com but with a brewtroller for more automation so I don't have to move tubing around during the brewing process.

I could do this with a bunch of motorized 2 way valves or use a few less 3 way valves. Anyone have a strong opinion on which way to go? My main consideration will be setting this up so that it is easy to clean and drain after the brewing process. I HATE the cleaning part, so I'm trying factor that into the decision.

Nate

I say always go for the 3 way, unless it is a devil's 3 way.
you should ignore me because I have no idea what I am talking about.

Yes and No
3 way where you need it and 2 way where you don't. 3 way is less expensive than 2 - 2 way and requires less wiring than 2 - 2 way valves.

Yes and No
3 way where you need it and 2 way where you don't. 3 way is less expensive than 2 - 2 way and requires less wiring than 2 - 2 way valves.

That makes sense to me.. Now for T type of L type. I know L type only have 2 possible positions, but do T type only have 2 positions as well? I would imagine that's the only way they could work, but I want to be sure before buying 6 of these suckers. After drawing some diagrams, I would think T type would be more useful.

Nate

Find your valve vendor first and find out what they carry.

2 Vessel Brewery Process Plumbing.jpg

I still don't get one thing. Do motorized T type valves only have 2 positions like L type?

I have four three way valves on my HERMS, two T type and two L's.
IMG_1664.jpg

Not sure how well this picture shows it, but I have the pump exit into the T, and then have the L after that. This way I can position the first valve to exit the valve or to flow through to the L.

For example to fill the MLT: water out of the HLT goes to the pump, the T valve is set for the water to flow through to the L and out into the MLT.

Reticulation of the MLT: the L that filled the MLT is turned so the mash can flow out of the MLT into the second pump, and the to the T that is set for the mash to leave the T and go through the HERMS coil and back into the MLT.

IN-Pump-T-L

This make any sense?

No, they have 3: Left, Right, straight through

So when hooking it up to a brewtroller, will the brewtroller be able to get it in those three positions? I'm not sure how it could figure out how to stop the ball inside the valve in between the far left and far right position.

Back