Accidental sour - Quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradinator

Reaction score
In regards to a post I put up a couple weeks ago about an infection here.

I am going to keep this beer around to see if it works out in the end. Here is my question:

Right now the lacto is growing in the bottles, right at the top of the beer (basically in the neck of the bottle). I tried drinking one the other day and it tastes fine, but the lumpy chunk of lacto build up was very... Unsettling to drink.

Will the lacto settle to the bottom similar to how yeast does?

Hey Brad, it sounds like pedio may be the culprit, as it sometimes exhibits a ropy texture or "sickness," as it's called in lambic brewing. It can last 3-4 months and if O2 is present, can give off diacetyl. Acetic can cause ropiness also, but you would have noticed the vinegary flavor. There was a recent thread about it in this forum: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/berlinerweisse-sick-bottle-232214/

I have never had this happen in the bottle, so I can't advise the best course, except RDWHAHB.

Lacto will definitely descend to the bottom of the bottle over time or with cold crashing. I've never had lacto in the bottle clump, it more seems to form flakes.

At first it did look like the flakes while in the fermenter, but now its kind of bubbling in the bottles like in the post that cervezarara referenced. Either way I am going to let it sit and hope it turns out!

Thanks for the advice everyone

Latest posts

Back