yeast to avoid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
Are there any particular yeast strains you avoid? I don't mean for any certain style, just ones you may have had bad luck with, whether it be poor attenuation, off-flavors, etc. or maybe it just wasn't what you expected from it. For whatever reason, is there any you just won't go back to?

I plan on letting the discount bin at my LHBS deciding which yeast/brews I'll be doing for my next couple of batches. I'm incredibly indecisive and also want to use it to branch out into trying new yeast strains, but don't want to accidentally get stuck with a dud. i'm probably doing a vienna/centennial smash, so as long as its not belgian or lager yeast ill probably use it (eh, even then I may still). last time I was there it was WLP022 (essex ale) which I think could make for an interesting batch.

I look forward to hearing about your unfortunate experiences :p

I've used almost all Wyeast strains and a handful of White Labs, along with some dry yeast. From my experiences, I like the liquid yeast over the dry, but to answer your question, I don't have any strains that I stay away from.

I'll forever avoid "WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast" because I had to dump 2 batches that were almost certainly infected. It was the first time I used that yeast, the first time I ever reused a yeast from a previous batch, and the first time I had to dump anything :( I basically underpitched, probably improperly sanitized, and then propagated it to another batch.

I'm sure it's not the yeast's fault, but I'll never use WLP007 again. That's just how life goes.

I'll forever avoid "WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast" because I had to dump 2 batches that were almost certainly infected. It was the first time I used that yeast, the first time I ever reused a yeast from a previous batch, and the first time I had to dump anything :( I basically underpitched, probably improperly sanitized, and then propagated it to another batch.

I'm sure it's not the yeast's fault, but I'll never use WLP007 again. That's just how life goes.

Funny. I used WLP007 for just about anything hoppy. Attenuates well, flocculates well, gives a nice flavor.

I'm not sure why you would blame a yeast strain for what sounds like poor sanitation practices.

I too like WLP007 for hoppy beers but does for sure leave more of a yeast impression on the finished beer than does an American Ale. They say its basically what Stone uses but It tastes different for me.

I don't really care for Wyeast Abbey ale or British Ale.
Be careful with Wyeast 1272 and WLP 005. If it's treated well the beer is great if not... you will see.

Wyeast experiences... Nothing bad, but things to keep in mind:

2565 (Kolsch): Sloooooow and doesn't flocculate too well. Takes a long time to clear, if any.

1968: Sometimes will stop midway, and you think it's done. You transfer it and it gets into suspension, and it starts again. It's VERY clumpy and lumps up in the wort.

3068: That mofo can get VERY strong with a huge head of krausen

1187 (Ringwood): Massive ale flavors. I used that in a blonde ale, and my friends think I hopped heavily. I didn't: It's the yeast! You really have to balance it with the right beer. I brewed a porter with 1.5% Special B, and 1187. The combination tastes like licorice.

M_C

Misplaced_Canuck said:
3068: That mofo can get VERY strong with a huge head of krausen

M_C

Agreed, love this yeast for hefs, and it is a beast. If using washed yeast, don't put a starter on a stirplate!!! Too much yeast in flask and it shot the stopper off like a rocket!

As for which yeasts to avoid, I really don't care for S-04, gives a tart/sour off taste that I don't like, though it is not bad for IPAs (though my favorite for IPAs and PAs is still Chico/1056/US-05).

bwomp313 said:
I had a good experience with this. Thought it made a very tasty, well balanced beer.

+1 it's my go to Belgian yeast, can get hot in fermentation though which will give strong flavours if not controlled.

ErieShores said:
Wyeast Belgian Ardennes, too damn spicy.

This is the "cleanest" Belgian yeast out there. Sounds like you don't like Belgians; 3522 is one of my favorite strains!

DragonOrta said:
Funny. I used WLP007 for just about anything hoppy. Attenuates well, flocculates well, gives a nice flavor.

I'm not sure why you would blame a yeast strain for what sounds like poor sanitation practices.

I don't blame the yeast, but I still may avoid it. And yes, I know what I did wrong on those batches and it was on me.

Be careful with Wyeast 1272 and WLP 005. If it's treated well the beer is great if not... you will see.

I agree with the WLP005. I was not a particular fan of that strain. Mine gave of a "grape-like" ester fermenting at 67F controlled. I used it in a sweet stout and a northern english brown ale. The english brown did take a second place, but I got some comments about the ester profile from a Grand Master II judge. He specifically mentioned the "strange, grape-like ester" that I had noticed also. Maybe a different ferment temp would help, but there are too many yeasts out there for me to go back to that one.

I throw away Munton's, and I've pretty much had it with Nottingham after their numerous recalls.
Windsor (and pretty much Danstar in general) is at the bottom of my list. Fermentis for try, white labs vials usually for a liquid strain...though I pefer Wyeast's kolsch strain over white labs.

Thanks for all the tips. Keep em coming!

For me, I avoid windsor, S-33 and munton's. S-04 may be joining that list too after a couple issues and not being british-y enough for me

I've never heard of anyone having good experiences with WLP820. Apparently it simply is not what it's reputed to be (Weihenstephan 206).

Every yeast has lovers and haters. I've found that if you know the sweet spot and how to handle any given yeast you will get great results. W34/70 beat me down and I don't have much of a desire to figure it out as I am not a Lager drinker. Otherwise I've had success with other yeasts.

I'm not saying what to avoid but for a vienna/centenial smash I would look for the euro ale yeast 1338. I made something very similar but with some pilsner in it and it was one of my best batches ever. This was not a very hoppy batch - about 22 ibus but it was very easy to drink.

Danstar yeasts, S-33 and Yorkshire Square are the ones I won't use again.

Danstar yeasts, S-33 and Yorkshire Square are the ones I won't use again.

if you don't mind, what was the issue with yorkshire square? I was planning on doing a brew with it later this year, but have heard mixed reviews. Even a local pro had issues with it.

Patrick: I ended up going with 1882 Thames Valley II. I was more curious in general though, not really suggestions for this batch. I'll keep that one in mind though.

if you don't mind, what was the issue with yorkshire square? I was planning on doing a brew with it later this year, but have heard mixed reviews. Even a local pro had issues with it.

It was extremely estery for me, even at fairly low temperatures, and didn't attenuate very well.

I've used WLP005 for all of my nut browns and it's worked out really well. No off flavors... good attenuation...

Wyeast Ringwood 1187 on the other hand, I've had to triple-pitch because it just wouldn't get going. Really obnoxious. Tried the same recipes with Wyeast's American Ale yeast and it worked just fine.

Not sure what the concerns are for 1272 - works every time for me!

I'm probably done using WLP400 forever - used it again this spring & it is just so slow and tastes a little too wheaty without any of the tartness that I love in a wit. They finally are stocking WLP410 again (it's a Platinum yeast), and I've had perfect results with that wit beer yeast. Can't wait to fire it up!

More interested myself in the good yeast experiences. W 34/70 is becoming my house strain for lagers.

Bought a sack of Maris Otter yesterday and plan to do a number of ales in a row soon; have been studying up on the appropriate Wyeast products but could still decide on dry yeast instead.

I'm probably done using WLP400 forever - used it again this spring & it is just so slow and tastes a little too wheaty without any of the tartness that I love in a wit. They finally are stocking WLP410 again (it's a Platinum yeast), and I've had perfect results with that wit beer yeast. Can't wait to fire it up!

Thanks for this tip! I was looking to do a Belgian Wit here soon. I'm normally a Wyeast girl, but I'll stray for this one. The reviews I just read sound great. What temp did you ferment at?
:mug:

I'm sure there's a time and place for all yeast but personally I'll be avoiding strains like wyeast #1010 American Wheat, or #2035 American Lager just by virtue of the strains sounding rather boring and pedestrian.

Wyeast Belgian Ardennes, too damn spicy.

Try again with different (and possibly better controlled) fermentation temperatures. My experience with that yeast has shown it to be pretty well balanced and it sounds like I'm not the only one.

TwoGunz said:

Id have to say ignore this comment, WLP007 is an excellent strain in my opinion. Braves high alcohol levels and the drops out like a champ. It sounds like brewer error

Danstar Windsor. Under-attenuates and takes a while to clear.

And since I like to stray from the norm, I avoid WLP001/WY1056 :) Just too clean! I also can't seem to coax it into stopping before >80% attenuation which, in some cases, I don't want.

Wyeast experiences... Nothing bad, but things to keep in mind:

2565 (Kolsch): Sloooooow and doesn't flocculate too well. Takes a long time to clear, if any.

1968: Sometimes will stop midway, and you think it's done. You transfer it and it gets into suspension, and it starts again. It's VERY clumpy and lumps up in the wort.

That's a shame. I just pitched some 2565 into a Kolsch and it was done in 6 days. Definitely needs a cold condition, though. But, I'll be patient as the flavor profile on this yeast is excellent and versatile (i.e., not just for Kolsches!)

Agreed on the 1968 though, can be a little finicky. Up your pitch rate and be sure to oxygenate, and give the fermentor a swirl on day 2. With session strength beers, I can get 48 hour fermentations out of 1968.

I'm sure there's a time and place for all yeast but personally I'll be avoiding strains like wyeast #1010 American Wheat, or #2035 American Lager just by virtue of the strains sounding rather boring and pedestrian.

You aren't one of those Canadians who hates Americans, are you?

I've also had issues with the Yorkshire Square yeast. First time I fermented cool around 62 in a marris otter ekg smash. The result was that it tasted belgian instead of english haha. Lots of spiciness.Still good just not expected.

I re-pitched that yeast into a northern english brown and fermented higher at 65 and the results were much better. Could have been the higher temp or the darker malts. It did take some time for the flavors to meld though.

No problems with attenuation like the other poster had. Although I like the yeast it does take some getting used to.

As far as go to strains, WLP001/US-05, WLP002, WLP028 & WLP004 but still looking for more

As far as go to strains, WLP001/US-05, WLP002, WLP028 & WLP004 but still looking for more

I really like the WLP007. That is a really great yeast for all styles. Ferments strong and drops clear very quickly. I had a DIPA that went from 1.080 to 1.014 and dropped clear in 4 days. Kegging up after 7-8 days and drinking at 14-18 days. I love how quick it can turn a beer and have a really nice fermentation character.

The only batch of beer I've had turn out bad in the last couple of years was a D-Alt using WLP036. It's been my only "dumper" in the last 4 years. Not 100% sure if it was the yeast, but I'm gunshy about using that one again.

For whatever reason I have had bad luck with S-04. Not sure why, but I have been having attenuation and flavor issues (and ferm temps were never above 68*). Won't be using it for the foreseeable future.

BrewWhat said:
The only batch of beer I've had turn out bad in the last couple of years was a D-Alt using WLP036. It's been my only "dumper" in the last 4 years. Not 100% sure if it was the yeast, but I'm gunshy about using that one again.

Glad I'm not the only one who's superstitiously avoiding a strain just because i feel like it damnit! Despite the fact I said I was avoiding a yeast without a truly logical reason I got a bunch of poo pooing. Yeast strains are like women, there's too many too worry about one that didn't work out.

Glad I'm not the only one who's superstitiously avoiding a strain just because i feel like it damnit! Despite the fact I said I was avoiding a yeast without a truly logical reason I got a bunch of poo pooing. Yeast strains are like women, there's too many too worry about one that didn't work out.

You got poo pooing because you posted a yeast strain in thread about yeast strains to avoid, when there was almost certainly nothing at all wrong with the yeast strain.

It gives inaccurate info to people that are just starting out and/or haven't had a chance to try said yeast strain.

DragonOrta said:
You got poo pooing because you posted a yeast strain in thread about yeast strains to avoid, when there was almost certainly nothing at all wrong with the yeast strain.

It gives inaccurate info to people that are just starting out and/or haven't had a chance to try said yeast strain.

I concur. These yeasts wouldn't be in production if they weren't good strains for what they were intended. I have just heard the good old WLP007 bad mouthed, and Wyeast 1010 both of which I have used recently and had success with. I don't even like many wheat beers, but the one I just made had a crisp, dry and tart flavor with just a trace of sweetness and that's all thanks to a good yeast. Bad brewing can ruin anything though I bet

Back