Yeast gathering from secondary? Is that ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkimmes

Reaction score
So I have decided to try washing my yeast and take this next step in my brewing. I usually put my beer in a primary fermenter for 7-10 days and then I transfer to my secondary. My primary is a plastic bucket and it usually has a thick layer of hops/grains/yeast at the bottom. My secondary is a glass carboy and it usually has a distinctive yeast cake at the bottom.

my question is would it be ok to only try to gather and wash the yeast cake from the secondary???

Thanks for any feedback.

Kevin

Generally it's not a good idea to gather yeast from the secondary as you will be selecting the least flocculent yeast which could change flocculation patterns in subsequent generations. If your using a bucket depending on the yeast strain top cropping the yeast 48-72 hours into fermentation could be an easier option. Thanks.

Agreed. Don't collect from your clearing tank (secondary), you will eventually end up with yeast that will just not floc.

My primary is a plastic bucket and it usually has a thick layer of hops/grains/yeast at the bottom.

Don't worry about the extra debris you collect. That is what washing does is remove all that stuff. Read through the Yeast Washing Illustrated thread and follow the steps. As long as you shake, let settle briefly, then decant a couple times you will end up with nice clean yeast.

Yes it is OK to collect the yeast from the secondary. However, be aware (as noted by others) that you are selecting certain properties that will eventually become dominant in the yeast if you continue this practice through several generations.

I don't think you would notice it in a couple of generations.

I've done it for a single re-pitch, but never done a second pitch from it. I try to stick with re-using yeast from the primary.

You will also find you might not even need to wash it. You left all the trub in the primary, so this will be mostly yeast.

Latest posts

Back