Yeast Starter for Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanneb

Reaction score
i did a search but really didnt find an answer specific to my questions.
i have a vial of champagne yeast.
i am trying to make 4 1 gallon batches of diff ciders(using diff sugars and additives) and one 5 gallon batch of appelwein.

i want to use the same yeast for all.
the yeast i have is for 5 gallons. if i do a starter will it grow enough to do 9 gallons. if so how do you do it and how long does it take.

i am want to start the 4 1 gals first and i can wait for the 5 gal if necessary.

so is this possible.
i have made a starter with dme before but not sure the best way to do it for cider.

Yeah, make a good starter 50/50 juice/water, add some sugar and nutrient in a quart to gallon sized container. Aerate it well. Pitch your yeasties in that and 24/48 hours later stir it up well to get all the yeast in suspension and divide up equally per gallon into your vessels. Yeast can double in quantity in a couple hours if the environment is hospitable.

ok thanks. since 4 are for 1 gallon batches and the 5th is a 5 gallon batch
if i divide the starter as you described into 5 equal parts do i need to do something more to the 5th part to make it grow more. or will time simply make it grow enough to use for a 5 gal batch?

If you do as above you will have loads of yeast. Pitch half into the 5gallons and divide the rest evenly.

thanks.
if i start now wed but am not ready to make cider until monday can i let this mixture set out this whole time. or will it run its course and start to die?

or do i let it go for two days or so and then put in fridge to put the yeast to sleep

probably doesn't matter. you could just wait to create this mix until thursday or Friday or saturday.

Back