Alternatives to nylon straining bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neomadmonkey

Reaction score
I don't have a brewing store near me and I was wondering if anyone had any alternatives to the nylon straining bag everyone seems to want to use. Could I use a tea steeper for the hops?

When I'm using whole hops on a brew day I have a lingerie laundry bag that I use. It's a bit of a pain because of the zipper but it has larger holes so the hops get soaked faster and it also drains faster.

Plus... it's a lingerie bag. ;)

I don't have a brewing store near me and I was wondering if anyone had any alternatives to the nylon straining bag everyone seems to want to use. Could I use a tea steeper for the hops?

G'day mate you can use a tea steeper but you will need a big one, this ones 120mm x 65mm easy to clean if you can't get one and you want one let me know

010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the bags, and I squeeze them at the end with my $6 Home Depot bought heat resistant chemical handling gloves.
So I don't use the mesh ball.

Back