almost ready, final recipe question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blagooba

Reaction score
hi sorry to keep spamming the forums...

Iv been pondering what to make along side my pinapple wine, and have 2 free demijohns.

Iv decided to make a hard tea thanks to the help of the community.

along side that im making a gallon of apple wine but need some help.

i saw that edworts recipe looks simple and popular!

I only have a gallon however so i was hoping for a high ABV of about 15%? I know from the thread that this will remove alot of flavour and cause a lighter fluid taste? However after fermentation i was thinking about adding a dash of robinsons cordial for flavour? any ideas?

right on, so what is the question, i am confused? not sure i know what robinsons cordial is, but sounds like another alcohol?

brew 1 gallon of strong apple wine made up of 1 gallon of apple juice, sugar and yeast to get a reading matchng around 15% ABV. Wait for fermentation to finish. the loss of flavor is apparently large and alcohol overpowers the drink. So i was curious if adding robinsons cordial (squash? not sure what its called in america) (its basically flavoured concentrate you put a dash in a glass and top up with water so its strong tasting on its own) would enhance the wine to be flavoursome?

robinsons is a concentrated soft drink that you add water to

ah, interesting. Well you would need more than just apple juice and yeast to reach 15% some more sugars would be needed!

Yes sorry I thought I put it I must have missed it, ill add around 2 pounds I think of sugar, have to check that though

Definitely use your hydrometer to figure out what your starting S.G. should be. I wonder if using a combination of granulated and light brown or turbinado sugar would help with a better flavor. Thought about a bit of vanilla once under airlock or adding good vanilla extract prior to bottling, a bit of cinnamon? An area winery sells a 15% ACV apple wine--and it tastes like apple pie since they used cinnamon and vanilla.

As far as what we call the Robinsons cordials in the US...you usually have to stress non-alcoholic cordial because it seems many Americans refer to cordials as sweet, alcoholic beverages. Most know "Ribena". I grew up making traditional cordials (no alcohol) & make the alcohol laden versions now, so I always end up asking: cordial with alcohol in it or none? LOL The squash is usually orange isn't it? What about their Fruit Barley Apple Pear or Apple Blackcurrant or their Fruit Shoot Low Sugar Apple 200ml x4? I can find some of their cordials here in the US at "LiquorBarn-PartySource" liquor stores and sometimes at Target, but have ordered many times from http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Robinsons_Squash.html. I am hooked on Lemon Barley Water!!
Or if you make to 15% can you melt frozen apple juice concentrate and use that to backsweeten as it will add immense flavor, aroma and sweeten? If no access to grocery store concentrate can you freeze one gallon of juice and then allow if to start to thaw and capture the sugary concentrated apple juice as it drips away from the frozen juice (like when making an ice-style wine)?

2 pounds of Sugar in a US gallon of Apple juice will have enough sugar for about 19.6%ABV if you can go that far. That would be a hard must to start. If using an imp. Gal of liquid then stil around 18% ABV. If using one pound your looking at about 14.6%US Gal and 13.7%Imp. Gal. Instead of using sugar you can go with Maple Syrup. 1.5 punds of that with the apple juice would yeild ABV of 14.6% US Gal & 13.6% Imp Gal. All these figures are estimates from this:

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Itemid=16

I think that using Maple Syrup or brown sugar will help with the flavor profile so you dont have to change much of it. Caramalized honey might do the trick too.

Personally I have found that a lower ABV is much better. All my curent brews are around 9.5%ABV - 10.5%ABV. That way you retain flavor and dont have to mess with it much. But that is all subject to personal opinion.

I'm sure your wrong, I just made some welches with 1and a quarter pounds of sugar and it came out around 12 percent. Not as high as what you mentioned?

M sure your wrong about the abv? I made a batch of welches with 1 and a quarter pounds of sugar and it came out about 12 abv?

Back