Seal/Label Generator - An Easy Way to Make Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewtopia said:
Yeast is never mentioned in Reinheitsgeboot, the German Purity Law of 1516 because they didn't know it existed. All they knew is you mix, Barley, Hops and Water and you let it sit and after a period of time you get this wonderful thing called beer. Yeast was not discovered until the 1800's.

German Beer Purity Law from 1516
"How beer should be served and brewed in summer and winter in the principality"
"Herewith, we decree, order, express and wish, together with the Privy Council, that from this day forth everywhere in the Principality of Bavaria, in the countryside as in the towns and marketplaces, wherever no other specific ordinance applies, from St. Michael's Day until St. George's Day a measure or head of beer shall not be sold for more than one pfennig Munich currency and from St. George's Day until St. Michael's Day a measure shall not be sold for more than two pfennigs of the same currency, nor a head for more than three haller. Violators of this decree shall be punished as prescribed below. Whoever should brew a beer other than Maerzen, is forbidden, under any circumstances, to serve or sell a measure for more than one pfennig. We especially wish that, from this point on and everywhere in the countryside as well as in the towns and marketplaces, nothing is to be added to or used in beer other than barley, hops and water. Whosoever knowingly disobeys this decree will be severely punished by the court having jurisdiction over him by having his barrel of beer confiscated whenever this offense occurs. Whenever an innkeeper buys beer at the prescribed price from any brewery in the countryside as well as in the towns and marketplaces, he is allowed to resell it privately to the lowly peasantry for one haller more than the price of the measure or head of beer stipulated above."

That's true, but it was amended years later to include yeast. I forget exactly when it was amended.

Thanks guys now I'm not going to get anything done at work today! That's an awesome tool- and I've got 2 batches of brew to label!

Big10Seaner said:
Thanks guys now I'm not going to get anything done at work today! That's an awesome tool- and I've got 2 batches of brew to label!

+1...time to make the St Paddy's labels!

It's too bad you can't get higher resolution output. I was able to do some fancy importing into Illustrator to convert the wheat ring to vector and really punch the res up. Now I do all the center image work in photoshop as a separate layer.

5ESB.jpg

Don't know what kinds of music you guys are into but the Dropkick Murphys are one of my favorite bands. Kind of where I pulled some of the inspiration for these labels. They're an Irish punk band that is big on the working class and beer/whisky/having a good time.(only thing I'm not real sure of is the coloring...I do like the black/grey with the worker as that is one of their logos).

seal3-1.gif

seal4.gif

seal2.gif

seal-1.gif

Once you have a design you like, what are the steps to sizing it and printing a label. I've never done anything like this before. I'd really appreciate a walkthrough if someone is patient enough. Thanks!

John

I'm just bumping this to see if someone can quickly tell me how you take your design and get it to a place where you can print several on one piece of paper. Do you have to transfer the image somewhere else?? Thanks.

John

I'm just bumping this to see if someone can quickly tell me how you take your design and get it to a place where you can print several on one piece of paper. Do you have to transfer the image somewhere else?? Thanks.

John

It was pretty easy, at least if you've got Word. I opened Word, pulled up a blank page, then imported the image of the label. *doink* Then I copied it and messed with spacing enough to get four on one page. Then print and off to the Kinkos for color laser copying so the colors wouldn't run when wet. Voila! :mug:

It was pretty easy, at least if you've got Word. I opened Word, pulled up a blank page, then imported the image of the label. *doink* Then I copied it and messed with spacing enough to get four on one page. Then print and off to the Kinkos for color laser copying so the colors wouldn't run when wet. Voila! :mug:

Did you have kinkos print it on labels or did you use glue? If you used glue, what type did you use?

The milk method is the easiest and best thing ever :ban:

How to:

1) Get small paintbrush, ie from a kid's watercolor set

2) Get small cup of milk - about an inch will do.

3) Take label in one hand, turn over to back

4) Dip paintbrush in milk, wet thoroughly

5) Thoroughly moisten back of label with paintbrush

6) Stick label on bottle, smooth out

7) Wipe off excess milk (optional)

8) Repeat

TA-DAA!!! :mug:

When you need to remove, just get the label thoroughly wet with water. Let it sit a bit to thoroughly saturate. Peel off, wipe off any excess. Again, TA-DAA!!!

Any specifics on the type of milk to use? 2%, skim... probably wouldn't matter, but that sounds a whole lot easier than finding peel-off label paper to print on, or dealing with real glue.

Just bloody love this. Designed a logo for my first batch of beer.
The beer shall have the name Himinglæva wich is sort of a ... opening in the sky wich you can look at. It is also the name of one of Ægir's daughters.
Plan to incorporate sun...letters or whatever it is called in english (Sólstafir) picture of it here.

132413.jpg

Will upload once i'm done :p

UPDATED STATUS

says-it.com is undergoing maintenance

OK, here's what's going on:
Health problems: I went into the hospital Friday night (4/17/2009). I'd been having a lot of trouble breathing for the past few weeks. I thought I was coming down with pneumonia again, but it turns out it was just a bad flare of asthma. A couple of days in Seton Medical Center and I'm feeling 100% better. (This is how I looked a couple of days ago.)
Web server problems: since you're reading this, it should be obvious to you that the site is still down. It has been having problems for the past few weeks as well. A lot of it is due to software I've written over the past few years getting uglier and kludgier as time goes on. Part of it, though, is the web server was getting overloaded with requests and getting bogged down. I'm still not clear on the reasons behind this; it may have been simple popularity, it may have been a kind of lame, makeshift DoS attack, or it may have been something else, or a combination of things. So rather than leave it in a crippled, half-useful state, I just ripped everything out. I'm currently rewriting a bunch of old software to be more integrated and run leaner, and I'm going to put some more advanced anti-leeching measures in place. With luck (and a lot of work) this will take care of the overload problems.
Ryland

Latest posts

Back