Failed batched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
To be honest I think it had failed before it even started as I made the mistake of boiling the apples to get them soft enough to squeeze the juice out, ended up with a very thick and syrupy liquid, which i had to water down with water and shop apple juice... So I never expected the highest quality cider but anyway, it bubbled quite a lot at first and smelled a bit like eggs when I opened it to smell, then seemed to go quiet around the 7th or 8th day and the smell got a little better, but still kinda eggy. I left it another 5 days and didnt have any more bubbles so I figured it was done.

So I just filtered it through a very fine sieve and threw away the last 20% which was all sludge. But it still smells a little bit rotten, just a bit... Tasted it and it wasnt completely gross but a little sour, like wine that had been opened and left for a few days.

Any idea what this means and is there any way to save it? I bottled it anyway as I thought it might get better after a few weeks sitting. If it is undrinkable, could I still use it for applejack?

First of all what are SG and FG? Im guessing gravity? I'm a complete newbie and dont have any equipment so couldnt check it.

The way I made it was from 3.5kg apples which I cooked and squeezed 2litres of juice from, 1 litre apple juice, maybe half a litre of water, 1 cup of sugar, and 2g bread yeast and after a few days I boiled a few raisins and added the water from that after someone suggested it to me. I made it on 2nd of feb and it sat since then in the corner wrapped with blankets, room temperature was around 50-65F so a little cold.

Like I said it doesnt smell absolutely horrid, but it definitely doesnt smell good, and the taste is a bit sour, I didnt spit it out but its not something I really want to drink either. Oh it tasted a little sweet also, was expected it to be completely dry, so the fermentation might have stalled because of the temperatures.

Latest posts

Back