refinishing oak wine barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongDukDong

Reaction score
How goes it HBT!

I picked up a couple of french Oak wine barrels that i wanted to use in the man cave, but prior they lived outdoors and have some obvious wear. Not necessarily looking to make it furniture quality, but give it a little shine without so much elbow grease.

Can any wood workers out there recommend a product i could use to accomplish this?

Thanks in Advance!

The Donger

I'd do the following:

1. Sand the exterior to remove some of the wood fibers exposed by the weather.

2. Stain with a color that will enhance your interior.

3. Apply several coats of polyurethane varnish, allowing thorough drying between coats. A light sanding before applying another coat is a good idea.

Your barrel will turn out to be a focal point in your Man Cave!

glenn514:mug:

Thanks for the info!

Figured it would be something like that. I was looking more for a "1 and Done", but have a feeling they will look 10X better doing it the way you suggested. The tricky part is going to be not ruining the cool bark rings that sit over the metal bands.

Any particular grit sand paper you'd recommend?

I wouldn't go with anything too coarse. If it takes a little longer with a finer grit, I'd say it was worth it. I'm gonna estimate a 200 grit, because you just want to remove the weather-worn wood fibers, not smooth the entire exterior.

glenn514:mug:

you could also used oxalic acid to remove the weathered fibers. quick and easy. apply with a scrub brush, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, rinse off or apply a neutralizer.

Latest posts

Back