All Grain Help Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
I need some help understanding all grain brewing. I know that after you mash you can drain 2 qts and pour over grains, vourlorf? But I still don't get sparging it's confusing me.

After you mash you want to drain your running's until they are clear. Replace those running's carefully back in your mash tun and then drain all the water out of your mash tun. You next want to rinse the grains of any sugars you missed the first time and that is what the sparge is. You want to add the appropriate amount of water that when combined with your first running's will give you your total preboil amount. I sparge usually with several gallons of close to boiling water. Hope this helps!

The amount you wash the grains with depends on your boil size, how much grain, etc. Sparging just means to wash the residual sugar out of your grain bed.

You drain it once, you have most the sugar. You sparge it (add some water, and drain it again if batch sparging) you get some more sugar.

Im sure someone else can explain this better.

Ok it's a normal 5 gal batch 12-13 lbs of grain a Irish Red. This is what I thought it was but thanks for clarifying it for me. I can't wait for my first all grain. Is there any special secret tips??? ;)

Make sure you have a reliable thermometer, and know what your water additions are going to be.

O ya and have a good time

I use more than a quart to mash in about (1.25-1.5). I have used this website with some success. It's not the best and if I was a premium member I would post m excel formulas. Maybe someone else can do that. O ya and make sure you have some extra hot and cold water lying around for your first few batches in case you under or over hit your temps.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Back