Wyeast 1272 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleScrapper

Reaction score
I want to pitch my Wyeast 1272 American Ale II into a 6 gallon wort of about 1.060. the directions say pitch into 5 gallons.

is this ok? b should i make a "starter"? i don't know what a starter is..

(..i'm brewing a 5 gallon Brew House IPA kit and I am steeping i 2.2 lbs of honey malts with a gallon of water to bring the wort up to 6 gallons. i want to reduce the head space in my secondary to as small as possible and i don't want to have to top it off with water)

we're going to start brewing in 50 minutes so if anyone has an answer that would be amazing!!

i've already smacked the Wyeast pack and it's totally puffed up and ready to go!

If you smacked it then it looks like ur brewing. I would look up how to make starter for future brews, it's defintely a good thing to know. If it doesn't finish out as well as you would like, then pitch another smack pack later to finish is out.

You'll be okay. Doesn't sound like you have time for a starter anyway.... but it's not really necessary. Just control the temp during fermentation as best as you can.

A starter would be better, but you should be fine. There's lots of info around here about how to make a starter, but generally you need to do it at least 12 hours before brewing.

I really like that yeast, BTW ... though it has a tendency to start slow (for me, at least). So don't get worried if you don't see activity right away.

Back