My Keezer project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
As some of you have seen in earlier posts I received a chest freezer for my birthday from my fiancé. It's keezer time. I purchased the Johnson thermo control system(the one that just plugs between the wall and the keezer rather than rewiring the cooling setup). Went to home depot and got a 1x8 pine. They cut the lengths I needed as well. Nifty. I also picked up a square of 1+1/2 inch foam board insulation. For adehesive I picked up liquid nails silicone adhesive. And for a nice touch after final cuts and before gluing....stain and polyurethane walnut satin.

I figure this will take about a week since I work all day and next weekend is jam packed with things off the Honey Do list and things I am being dragged to.

I am also planning on building a wheel cart.

Updates will be posted. And please leave me any tips or feedback.

image-1860067390.jpg

image-2894404361.jpg

image-1718787873.jpg

image-2803397120.jpg

image-2670117095.jpg

image-1334110843.jpg

I got the insulation and 1x8s cut. Next comes the stain. I added another 1x8 cut to make a sandwich of insulation on the side for my taps. This way I won't crack the insulation when I tighten the taps in.

image-1441146027.jpg

image-558131123.jpg

image-3760814954.jpg

image-4107699334.jpg

Congrats on the start of your keezer project. Can't wait to follow your thread. Mine was a collarless coffin keezer, but if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. Good luck my man! :mug:

I started using the stain and polyurethane last night. Of course I had to include beer in at least one of the pics. This stuff is not forgiving at all if anything is on the wood. Whether it is hair or a little spec of saw dust, you see it times 50 when you coat the wood. I think I need 1 or 2 more coats. Dries fast too.

image-2653506993.jpg

image-3276463117.jpg

image-689126939.jpg

I thought I would be different and use a beer bottle for my probe. Sanitized,capped, filled with water. I hammered a screw driver threw the cap and stuck the probe in. Silicone sealed the hole.

image-296606469.jpg

I didn't like how the poly finish combo looked after it dried. So I went back to the drawing board. Got one pint of stain red oak and some poly. Bought another 10 footer 1x8 and made the cuts. Coated the boards. Gotta say I like it better. They look very rustic. Almost fits perfectly in a wild west bar fashion.

Total improvement using two separate poly and stain pints compared to using the all in one pint. Cleaner....neater....simpler...and faster

image-986459957.jpg

image-2472109267.jpg

On top of using the Liquid Nails silicone adhesive to join boards together....I put two finish nails in per corner. I currently am cold crashing a Kolsch in the chest freezer so I will wait until that is done before mounting the collar.

Everything fits just fine but I'm thinking about putting some weather stripping between the wood and the freezer and an extra strip between the wood and the lid

image-4188137340.jpg

Taps on. Going to have my father in law make tap handles for me since he's a master woodworker

image-2261293185.jpg

image-2806711265.jpg

this looks great! i have been putting off building a collar for my freezer, but now i'm inspired. how are you going to connect the lid and collar to the hinges?

The weather stripping allows for a complete seal. I removed the brackets and am using gravity for now and something heavy to hold down the lid. I will be getting a sheet of ply wood cut for the top. The sides of the lid will be lined with strips of wood with stain and poly to match the collar. Basically the strips will form a lip and on top of the ply wood we will put a mosaic pattern of bottle caps. The ply wood and wood strips will be my anchor weight for the lid.

image-226295839.jpg

image-437206027.jpg

image-4054570514.jpg

image-1683305145.jpg

Haha yeah. Everytime I use the flash she looks demonic. She always wants to be in my pictures!
:ban:

Here is the finished Keezer on its Cart. Well, I'm not sure it is "Finished" because I still have ideas....

Finished Keezer on Cart.jpg

Back