Mead Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joebh

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my mead got contaminated with something when I moved... Anyone know wtf this is and if there is a way to fix it?

bacteria.jpg

Yeah, you really should remove any jelly fish from your carboy before racking a mead into it.

Seriously though, what are those?

That looks like a vinegar infection. I've read that campden tablets can save it, but haven;t done it myself.

Yea I hear most infections can be fixed if caught early by racking/ filtering any solids & adding 1.5 Camden tablets per gallon. Again but I have not tried that yet but it seems to be the consensus. After the racking give it a week and taste it. It will either be super sour (lactobacillus infections) or taste like vinegar if infection went to far. Should be good otherwise.

i don't have any experience with contaminated/infected mead/wine... but i would be worried about getting sick from drinking it. Is this really not the case?

If this is a lactobacillus infection then there really is no major threat of becoming I'll. Lactic acid is the souring by product of lactobacillus which is actually one of the most prominent bacteria in your digestive tract. Without lactobacillus we are actually at risk from infection from other nasties. Heck there are supplements made from lactobacillus to help things like immune therapy and diarrhea.

If this is a vinegar infection then there are bacterium creating acetic acid. There are actually a lot of home remedies that call for different vinegars. The bacteria is easily killed with sulphites like Camden but major infections sometimes need to be heat pasteurized. The worst that can happen there is that an abundance of acetic acid may upset your stomac or cause some damage to the teeth/throat.

With the alcohol levels being presant there is less of a chance of harmful bacteria taking hold & the two more common infections as stated above also inhibit harmful bacteria growth. So basically if you hit it with a big does of sulfites (Camden tablets) and after a week it does not taste good then stop drinking it. There should be little worry of getting I'll from a taste test of the stuff.

cool thanks for your replies, I threw 6 campden tablets in and racked and it has appeared to clear up a bit. Doesn't smell bad, but I guess well see :/

Back