First Non-kit brew idea??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1084
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
?
Final Gravity
?
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
?
Color
?
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days @ 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30+ Days @ 70
Tasting Notes
My goal is for a dark,nutty,coffee noted stout with a mild whiskey oak
3.3 lbs LME Dark
3.3 lbs LME Amber
.5 lbs chocolate malt
.5 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs caramel vienna
1.5 oz UK Target hops (local store out of Fuggles)
1.5 lbs Flaked Oats
1 lbs Dark Candi sugar (or turbinado or molasses?)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
2 oz. Bourbon soaked wood chips (two weeks prior to adding to secondary)

-Steep crushed grains @ 160 for 30 minutes
-Add LME and bring to boil
-Boil for 15 minutes and add Hops
-Add sugar/molasses
-Continue boiling for 45 minutes
-Remove from heat and cool quickly
-Pitch yeast @ 75 degrees
-Primary for one week
-Transfer to secondary and add oak chips
-Secondary for one month
-Add priming sugar and bottle for one month

So that's the general idea, I'm sure there are a few things that should be changed. Any advise is appreciated. Be gentle it's my first time!!!:rockin:

I remember when I wrote my first recipe. It was also an extract. My friend recommended that the extract I used be pale as it is easier to duplicate what you made if go all grain. If you plan on going all grain in the future and you wish to take this advice, find out what grains and at what ratios go into the extract you are using. Then add those to your specialty grains.

Also, I would leave it in primary for 2 to 3 weeks and then move to secondary. Fermentation is the only thing primary can be good for. The yeast will do a better job of cleaning up after themselves after fermentation with a larger cell count thus leaving you with a cleaner beer. I used to do the 123 method (1 week prim., 2 week secondary, 3 week age) and have moved to the 3 week prime, minimum 2 week secondary, minimum 1 week aging method and find that beer is superior in every way to the first method I used.

:tank:

I was curious about the primary time, a few recipes I was looking at just seemed to be too short of a time, but hey I'm new what do I know. Thanks for the tips.

Back