Storage: Dry vs Wet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynne-R

Reaction score
My brother stores his hoses, racking canes etc. in a bucket filled with Iodophor solution. He then re-sanitizes with more Iodophor before use.

I clean, spray StarSan and hang them up to dry. More StarSan before use.

I know that Iodophor goes away, StarSan would be a better choice, especially for long term storage. That’s not the issue.

I figure bacteria won’t multiply without water. He figures he’s depriving them of oxygen.

Comments?

As long as they are clean I don't see a benefit in storing them wet. You sanitize anyway before use.

I don't know much about iodophor but starsan is an acid sanitizer. It will turn tubing a milky color with extended contact and possibly make plastics brittle. I clean, sanitize and air dry then store in gallon ziplock bags. Glass on the other hand is ok. After cleaning and sanitizing I leave the residual foam in my sealed carboys until brew day, then drain and air dry before transfer.

Is all his equipment a brown color? Iodophor which is an Iodine solution will stain your equipment, especially the plastics.

Really no need and maybe counterproductive. I don't know how long the Iodophor solution will last.

Is all his equipment a brown color? Iodophor which is an Iodine solution will stain your equipment, especially the plastics.

Really no need and maybe counterproductive. I don't know how long the Iodophor solution will last.

Not very long- as in less than a day. Iodine exists as a gas and will leave the solution relatively easily. In a sealed container, however, its large molecular size probably makes for slower movement through plastics.

FWIW I know the guys up at Etna Brewery keep all their stainless stuff for the brewery soaking in an Iodine solution covered with plastic wrap all the time. I found it sorta normal so I never asked about it. Ya know, I am going to call my buddy John Abbot tomorrow. He was the original brewer for Kona and owned the Chico Brewhouse for many years. I am real curious as to his take on it. Ill reply back when I get an answer from him.

Cheers
Jay

At my cheese plant, we store pipes dry, but we also push a sanitizer through the lines if we're not immediately going from sanitation to production. So, we'll wash the lines on Friday when the line goes down, and we sanitize them on Monday just before we go to production.

The critical aspect is soils. As long as any lines/piping/hoses/equipment are free of soils (well and thoroughly cleaned) there is no reason to store them wet between uses. Just flush with sanitizer before use and you're good to roll.

If anything is stored soiled, everything goes out the window and sanitizer will not do the job you expect the next time you flush the equipment with it.

Back