Ideas for an extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sum1Stu

Reaction score
Hi guys, been awhile since ive been on here...... I KNOW!!

I was searching for idea's to make a stout, or porter, problem is I only have limited ingredients on hand right now, and brewery is closed for holidays...kind of sucks since I need more hobgoblin ingredients!!

Ive got a lot of liquid dark malt extract, its been in the fridge now for quite some time now what should I make with it ? Ive chocolate malt, munich malt, pale malt 2-row, wheat malt, carastan/caramel/crystal malt I also got a big bag of quick oats, they looked flaked.

If anyone can suggest a tasty/flavourful beer for me to make it would be most appreciated! I could go to the grocery stores and pick up some simple ingredients if neccesary ;)

I look forward to hearing from you all :mug:

Here is a Robust porter
ABV: 5.34
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.019

8 lbs dark extract
1 lb carmel/crystal malt
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb munich malt
2 oz Fruggles for 60min
.25 tsp irish moss
White Labs WLP002

If you don't have that much LME let me know. I can tell you how to mini-mash by uping the grains.

Anyone have an idea with the use of quick oats ? I kinda bought them to use with beer ;)

8-9 lbs dark extract
1 lb roasted barley
.5 lbs chocolate malt
.5 lbs crystal 40
1 lb flaked oats, baked at 350 for 20-40 minutes (until color ever so slightly begins to turn)

Your basic (but delicious) oatmeal stout recipe. I like to add Victory and/or some special roast to these to enhance the nuttiness of the oats, but you would do fine without them too.

Can anyone help out here ?

Am I mashing or Steeping ? Im using quick oats, crystal, roasted barley malt, and chocolate as my grains.

Back