Intense Hop Flavor without Severe Bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batman

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to get that Sam Adams hop flavor without the over-bittering that usually happens? I've tried very short boils with lots of fresh off the vine hops - still too bitter for any style beyond IPA.

Hey!
I have only experienced fresh whole hop and have only used this method in a micro-brewery. The best way to get powerful hop taste is to add hops just after your boil. Id say about 2x the amount you used as your bittering hop. I use a recirculating method to get the hops soaked right through! The hops are usually in the wort for up to 30 minuets

I grow my hops, so no worries there. You're saying no boil for the flavoring - maybe 160 degrees, for 30 minutes?

I got the part about adding late, and I can recirculate. My question is about time and temp. Can anyone provide specifics on temp?

Sam Adams has hop flavor? :)

As someone else described, do hop bursts, lots of hops towards the end of the boil with less bittering hops for the full boil.

It's all about hop bursting. Don't at ANY hops at the beginning of the boil. Start adding them at 20. Keep on hopping at 15, 10, 5, 0 and dry hop. You get a ton of flavor and aroma that way.

I forget the temp where isomerization occurs, but it's around the 160-170 range. Anywhere around that or below you'll be extracting the oils without the bitterness. This is why hop bursting (small boil / bitterness extraction window), whirlpooling hops, and hop rockets work so great for what you're looking to do.

It's all about hop bursting. Don't at ANY hops at the beginning of the boil. Start adding them at 20. Keep on hopping at 15, 10, 5, 0 and dry hop. You get a ton of flavor and aroma that way.

+1 my citra pale has it's first addition at 15 minutes with 6oz total. I believe the trick is to use high aa hop varieties.

Interesting stuff. I'm slowly developing more of a taste for hops but I have a harder time getting behind the intense bitterness.

Deschutes has a seasonal out -- red chair pale ale -- that has great hop flavor but not a lot of bitterness. Very delicious. I might have to think on some of these techniques come hop harvest time.

Back