using oak chips soaked with spiced rum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dturton10

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am brewing a nut brown ale and I would like to add a vanilla bean extract and spiced rum soaked french oak chips to the secondary. I have never used a secondary before. I have a plastic carboy, a glass carboy, and a bucket with lid and air lock. I assume I am going to use the glass carboy for the secondary and plastic for the primary.

I've read a lot on wood chips and here's what I plan on doing any suggestions would be awesome. I havent read anything on rum or vanilla.

soak 1.5oz of French oak wood chips in 2oz of spiced rum.
using 5 vanilla beans. cut in half scrape out insides add 2 oz of vodka
placed in jar, shake and let settle of a day.
once wort has reached final gravity Ill rack into secondary and add the extract and oak chips.
taste every 3 days, once flavor is a bit too strong add corn sugar and bottle.

yep I have read a lot of different things about weighing down the oak chips, using a grain bag for them, that rum is unstable, racking the beer directly on top of the oak chips.

but any knowledge or info that could be helpful I'm always looking to learn! but I am brewing tomorrow I have been researching for about a month.

I like the sound of the spiced rum. But it already has vanilla in it,plus the flavors from the French oak chips. 5 beans might be too much. But I'm no expert. I picked up an 8oz bag of the medium roast French oak chips. I'm going to soak 4oz's of them in 2-3 jiggers of Beam's Choice Kentucky Bourbon while my whiskely ale ferments. I thought if I use 4ounces of chips to 2-3 jiggers of bourbon,I could shorten the time in secondary to get a good additional flavor,but not overpowering. I'll pour the bourbon/chips into/through a hop sock over the secondary bucket So as to get the liquid in there too. But keep the chips in the hop sock so they don't get siphoned into bottles. I thought that might give a little insight.

I'm assuming that you want the rum flavor in there and that's why you are soaking the oak chips in it. If not you can just place the chips in a bowl, add just enough water to cover them and microwave for 5 minutes to sanitize them. Dump the oak and remaining water into your secondary and rack on top of them. I just keged my Amber Ale that I oaked this way and it came out great!

thank you guys! Yes the rum is a big part of the flavor profile I am looking for. with a suttle oak finish.

Here's another little point of interest I think might prove interesting. We all know to take an OG reading with the hydrometer before pitching. write that down in our notes. Then we know at some later date to take an FG reading 2-3 days apart to make sure it's all done,check. But,I'm going to take another FG reading after the oak chip/bourbon conditioning to see if there's a measurable difference.
I thought it might be good to find out just how much a measured amount of the oak/whiskey addition would make. Since I'll be using at least 3 jiggers (4.5oz),it should be measurable in beer. Since beer is low in alcohol compared to other adult consumables,it should make a difference that can be measured.

Sounds like a good idea I will be doing the same thing. Ill post my results up to share.

Here's another little point of interest I think might prove interesting. We all know to take an OG reading with the hydrometer before pitching. write that down in our notes. Then we know at some later date to take an FG reading 2-3 days apart to make sure it's all done,check. But,I'm going to take another FG reading after the oak chip/bourbon conditioning to see if there's a measurable difference.
I thought it might be good to find out just how much a measured amount of the oak/whiskey addition would make. Since I'll be using at least 3 jiggers (4.5oz),it should be measurable in beer. Since beer is low in alcohol compared to other adult consumables,it should make a difference that can be measured.

that won't measure the additional alcohol - it's only going to measure how much additional sugar you added if you are using a hydrometer

Idk if the bourbon will be adding much in the way of sugars,but I thought it might be interesting to try & see if there's a measurable difference. The liquor store didn't have Beam's Choice,so my older son got me Beam's black,an 8 year old bourbon! Should be even better.

Latest posts

Back