Oatmeal stout kits impossible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazedandconfused

Reaction score
So while looking around the net for an oatmeal stout recipe I came across a couple web sites that sell kits that only use rolled oats, hops, dark lme, crystal malt, roasted barley, and chocolate malt. I was under the impression that you had to mash oatmeal with something that has enough enzymes for conversion of the oats. Why is it that midwest supplies and brewabeer sell kits like this(no grains with dp)? Is it possible that this would turn out well?

You'll get some flavor out of the oats, but no sugars, and not as much flavor as if you'd mashed - and you won't get that creamy, slick mouthfeel. My 2nd kit beer was an extract based oatmeal stout. It came with an ounce of amylase powder, which I forgot to add since I'm a moron :)

yup. I brewed McQuaker's Oatmeal Stout from Brewing Classic Styles without mashing the oats (just a 30 min steep with the rest of the specialty grains is all the extract with grains version called for) while it lacks the body of a really "thick" stout, the oats did contribute a wonderful biscutty flavor and it's turned out to be one of the more enjoyable brews I've done to date. The recipe does recommend toasting the oats slightly until they are just starting to change color beforehand.

As long as the oats dont go over a certain percentage of the grain bill you dont have to do a rest. i think its 20% (correct me if im wrong)

This is what caused me to go all grain. I was doing an Oatmeal Milk Stout as my second batch, after reading all the info here I found out the oats should be mashed. A bunch off $$$ later I was set up to go all grain. The oats were the thing that started the snowball rolling downhill.

Think i could jut add in a little 6 row (1/4 #)to steep (mash) with the rest of the specialty grains to help out a little bit? Or is there a grain that would be better suited to this?

Since the kit has LME in addition to crystal malt, roasted barley, and chocolate malt, I would assume you would be steeping the grains with the oatmeal. This should give enough enzymes to convert the oatmeal. If you are worried about having enough enzymes you can purchase them along with the kit. I would steep the grains at 155 or so for 30-45 min and then put the grain bag into a strainer and pour 1/2 a gallon of 170 water over it to stop the conversion, bring it to a boil, add the hops, boil for an hour adding more hops if needed and then the LME in the last 15 min. Should turn out fine.

VB

Since the kit has LME in addition to crystal malt, roasted barley, and chocolate malt, I would assume you would be steeping the grains with the oatmeal. This should give enough enzymes to convert the oatmeal.
Crystal, RB and chocolate malts are non-diastatic; i.e., they do not have enzymes to convert themselves, much less the oatmeal.

Latest posts

Back