The Doors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I have a "couple two tree beers" (if you're from WI or the UP, you'll know what I mean............), some songs and songwriters hit me with how great they were in there time. One time, sitting around the fire, I decided that Van Morrison was the world's greatest. Another time, it was Paul McCartney. Apparently, one time I decided that Sam Cooke was the worlds best vocalist, but I don't remember that at all.

Anyway, tonight, I was playing some music and I remembered how much I LOVED The Doors. "Light My Fire", "Riders on the Storm", "LA Woman" and "Hello I Love You" were played tonight here.

Sometimes I just have to listen again, and not only enjoy the music and where I was at that time.

I love the doors as well and I've felt they've always been one of those under appreciated bands.

I don't know about under appreciated, cuz they rocked then and their music still works. :rockin: Classic bands never die.

The doors are timeless. Rebellious, questioning, profound, and brooding.

Jim Morrison was a Gawd Damn lyrical genious he was. Val Kilmer does a fine job of potraying Morrison in The Doors movie. If you are a Doors fan, and haven't seen it, it is worth the watch.

"I'll tell you this; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"
J. Morrison

Heya Yoop!

I enjoy the Doors as well as Hendrix and others in that era. And your post speaks to the power of music and how it influences us. It can raise our spirits in the moment, and it can also transport us back in time. Is it not a wonderful thing?

I think I'll go and enjoy some Door's tunes on YouTube now.

Peace.

the doors are certainly one of the greats, Im 22 and I have loved them since my old lady SWMBO introduced me to them. Well not introduced, I knew the classics but I understand what you all mean now that I've listened to a lot more of their stuff and for some reason it is one of them that you can get lost in after a few bevvys. BTW Unknown Soldier is their best track.

Definitely one of my favorites, if not my favorite. I never got to see them perform live since I wasn't born until after Jim passed in '71, but I did get to see Robbie Kreiger perform with his son back in '99. Even got to meet him afterward.

It's amazing how certain songs/artists bring you right back to specific moments of your life.

This reminds me that I really should rip all my old CD's to the computer...I've been saying this for about 5 years now.

It's amazing how certain songs/artists bring you right back to specific moments of your life.

This reminds me that I really should rip all my old CD's to the computer...I've been saying this for about 5 years now.

I keep wanting to get a external 1 TB HDD for this and then use the PC as the jukebox. I never do. Some day it will happen.

I am fond of the Doors. Not really "my time" tho. Great music nonetheless. Hendrix too.

Hmm... Personally, I think that The Doors was one of the hottest overrated bands of it's time. To me they were just "ok".

I did like the movie though. Val Kilmner did a fantastic job.

I wasn't even born when the band broke up, but when I think about the immature drunken years of high school, it' The Doors that epitomize that era for me. Captivating lyrics, great riffs, crazy jazz like rhythms, solid basslines. I appreciate them much more as musicians now that I'm not listening to them when I'm only hammered. Too bad they never got a real tour after the LA Woman album was released, they were broken and done, but that album encompasses the true roots of what they were, a rockin' American blues band.

When I have a "couple two tree beers" (if you're from WI or the UP, you'll know what I mean............), some songs and songwriters hit me with how great they were in there time. One time, sitting around the fire, I decided that Van Morrison was the world's greatest. Another time, it was Paul McCartney. Apparently, one time I decided that Sam Cooke was the worlds best vocalist, but I don't remember that at all.

Anyway, tonight, I was playing some music and I remembered how much I LOVED The Doors. "Light My Fire", "Riders on the Storm", "LA Woman" and "Hello I Love You" were played tonight here.

Sometimes I just have to listen again, and not only enjoy the music and where I was at that time.

I thought you told me you liked heavier music when you were internet-peeping on one of my brew sessions? If I remember the exact exchange, you listed Soundgarden as one of your favorites?

edit: The Doors was my first "favorite band". That's just about all I listened to in highschool. My tastes changed when I started playing guitar because, to be honest, it's hard to sit down and play some doors on an acoustic. You need a keyboard to pull it off properly.

I thought you told me you liked heavier music when you were internet-peeping on one of my brew sessions? If I remember the exact exchange, you listed Soundgarden as one of your favorites?

edit: The Doors was my first "favorite band". That's just about all I listened to in highschool. My tastes changed when I started playing guitar because, to be honest, it's hard to sit down and play some doors on an acoustic. You need a keyboard to pull it off properly.

I'm surprised you remembered! Yeah, I'm a huge Chris Cornell/Soundgarden fan, and have travelled to Milwaukee a few times to see Chris Cornell alone on tour, and with Audioslave.

I'm also a big 90s Grunge fan- love Nirvana, and Alice in Chains. I've seen Jerry Cantrell on tour alone, too, after Layne Staley died. I love the new AIC CD, even though I always say it's not AIC without Layne.

I have quite an eclectic mix on my hard drive. I'm a huge fan of Patsy Cline, and Alison Krauss, and love the stuff I grew up with like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Bob Marley is a favorite, and there is nothing like singing along to "Smoke Two Joints" with your kids as a family moment.

I also adore Neil Young. Probably because I grew up listening to him and the song "Ohio" talks about something close to me. I grew up during the Vietnam War, and lived about 15 miles from the Kent State killings.

On a typical night at our house, we'll be listening to some mix of all of the above and more.

Pink Floyd.

Apparently one of the greatest classic rock bands out there. For some reason I can't stand them.

Doors I can listen to, especially when you start paying attention to the lyrics.

man, I was lucky enough to have a dad that got me into them in high school. It's hard to beat good Doors songs. Their first album is just a killer first album from any band.

Gotta say some of my faves are five to one, roadhouse blues (live version), Crystal Ship, LA Woman. There are just so many good ones.

Sounds like you're ready to be a "Doors Fan"!!!

"The gypsies had no homes, and the Doors had no Bass!"

Last edited by a moderator:
The End

and all the children are insane...

waiting for the summer rain...

My birthday is the same as Jim's...December 8th

I saw the Doors post-Morrison, twice same day.
Montreux, Switzerland, early 70's.
My ears were ringing for two days or so.

I was close enough to clearly see Robby Kreiger's precise finger-picking. J, Densmore looked like he was on another planet, and Ray M. was very thirsty...!

The matinee show was delayed as the Swiss customs wanted to have a close look at the gear..!

Yooper, the book by Ray M. is a good read, lots of interesting details

I remember when their music was new . How come they call it classic when I am called old its not fair

Music ages better, youngster.

Don't you love her madly?
Don't you need her badly?
Don't you love her ways?
Tell me what you say?
Don't you love her madly?
Wanna be her daddy?

5 out of six ain't bad.

Buffett, sober or drunk! June 29, Alpine Valley, baby! Can't wait!

BTW, Yoop, your OP reminded me of a joke:

What did the DeadHeads say when they ran out of alcohol and drugs????

"this music sucks"

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Buffett, sober or drunk! June 29, Alpine Valley, baby! Can't wait!

BTW, Yoop, your OP reminded me of a joke:

What did the DeadHeads say when they ran out of alcohol and drugs????

"this music sucks"

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Is this comparing Jimmy Buffet with the Dead?!?!

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

I had a friend a little while ago say that he thought Jack Johnson is like the modern day equivalent to Buffet.
Kind of a deal breaker if he was dating a girl who was into either.

I don't know, my wife was a parrothead when I met her, but she soon stated to listen to and appreciate GD.
Now she hears Jimmy and says "I can't believe I used to listen to that!!"
:p

Back