Fermentation has stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im new to this forum stuff so bare with me ... Ive just put on my third mexican cervaza brew ive used
1 can of mexican cervaza ( black rock)
1 kg of brewcraft beer enhancer no 15
500 g of japanese blonde malt
Saflager yeast

I mixed it all up as usuall haf a SG reading of 1050, pitched the yeast at about 21 degrees celcius put the lid on etc then dropped the temp to about 12-14 degrees celcius, airlock has been bubbling away nicely.
On day 8 i took a reading and was at 1020.
I decided to transfer to a secondary fermenter( to finish off fermentation and to hopfully make the been a bit clearer in appearance. Its been in the secondary for 3 days now still at about 14 degrees celcius.. But the reading is not going down any further than 1020 and need it well below 1010. Can any one help as what to do?? I think the yeast may have stalled or something??
Not sure weather to put my heat pad under fermenter to give it a bit of a raise in temp to maybe try and get that yeast active again or just leave it for another week or 2 and see if it comes down. Any advice would be much appriciated

beno1 said:
Hi all,
Im new to this forum stuff so bare with me ... Ive just put on my third mexican cervaza brew ive used
Saflager yeast

I mixed it all up as usuall haf a SG reading of 1050, pitched the yeast at about 21 degrees celcius put the lid on etc then dropped the temp to about 12-14 degrees celcius, airlock has been bubbling away nicely.
I decided to transfer to a secondary fermenter( to finish off fermentation and to hopfully make the been a bit clearer in appearance. Its been in the secondary for 3 days now still at about 14 degrees celcius.. But the reading is not going down any further than 1020 and need it well below 1010. Can any one help as what to do?? I think the yeast may have stalled or something??
Not sure weather to put my heat pad under fermenter to give it a bit of a raise in temp to maybe try and get that yeast active again or just leave it for another week or 2 and see if it comes down. Any advice would be much appriciated

Sounds like a temp issue, I'd give the heat pad a go and see what happens.. Perhaps to 18 degrees C

Worth a crack

1.020 is a dreaded number for extract brewers. Seems like some extracts have too many unfermentables.

You can try a heating pad to increase the temperature a few degrees and gently agitate it to rouse the yeast.

beno1 said:
Hi all,
Saflager yeast

I was wondering why you would transfer from primary to second to finish the fermentation? Taking it off the yeast will halt fermentation in my experience.

wcrooker said:
I was wondering why you would transfer from primary to second to finish the fermentation? Taking it off the yeast will halt fermentation in my experience.

If this is the case perhaps you could pitch more yeast?

Thanks for the response people... I will raise the temp a bit to see if it will staft up again... The reason i changed to a secondary was to get the beer off the trub at the bottom and to hopfully make the beer clearer? Should i have just left in primary until finished then maybe transfer to secondary for a few days to clear out a bit then bottle straight from secondary?

GapByear said:
If this is the case perhaps you could pitch more yeast?

Do you think its better to leave in primary until finished then bottle straght from primary? Or syfon to a bottling bucket then bottle? My aim is to make the beer a bit clearer

beno1 said:
Do you think its better to leave in primary until finished then bottle straght from primary? Or syfon to a bottling bucket then bottle? My aim is to make the beer a bit clearer

I usually leave it in primary for about three weeks or when the hydro sample stays the same for three days. Clarity I use either a cold crashing method or gelatin if the yeast is really stubborn. But I've bottled from both primary and a bottling bucket and found that its easier to mix the priming solution in the bucket.

Back