4" Pacman Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So, I originally used my SmackPacMan (hehe) on my high-grav Bourbon Winter Ale. Did great. I harvested it, and used it again in my Imperial IPA. Again, did a great job. After that, instead of harvesting, I just racked the wort from my 1.125 OG barleywine right on top of it. It freakin' took off! I had 2 bubbles per sec even before I put the airlock on. So, anyway, now the barleywine is done. Fermented from 1.125 to 1.030. Beastly stuff, that Pacman.

But it's kinda funny...after those two batches, the yeast cake is 4 inches thick. And after going through a very hoppy IIPA, and a VERY hoppy barleywine that has star anise in it, I'm wondering if it's worth harvesting any of this massive yeast cake. I've heard that 4 generations is typically the max, but then, I'm not sure how much of the anise flavor would be transferred if I used it again. On the other hand, it looks like they've stopped selling Pacman for the time being.

So...?

omniscientomar said:
Yeap. Wash it LOTS, and make sure to use a starter & nutrients for next time...

Right on. I'll try it out. I've just never had this much cake before, so I'm gonna have to be very selective in how much I keep.

And...I always use starters with nutrients in them.

omniscientomar said:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, also don't forget to send me a sample of the yeast cake for further analysis. ;)

It's wintertime, and I have 4" of healthy cake. You want some?

Back